Can I be in starvation mode?

mustangmama
on 2/8/12 9:55 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I revised from lapband to RNY on Jan. 3rd.  My starting weight was 185 and goal weight is 165, but I've been stuck at 175 for the last 3-weeks!!!  I know stalls are normal, but I'm wondering if my body isn't losing more because I'm not getting enough calories.

I'm eating between 600-800 calories per day and burning about 450 through exercise each day.  I'm also getting in the required amount of water, protein...and taking my vitamins.

Is there anyone that has experienced slow weight loss right around there goal weight?  Should I be increasing my calories now? 

cookies4pennies
on 2/8/12 10:03 pm, edited 2/8/12 10:05 pm
Since you are considered a "light weight" your weight loss will be slower than the rest. And many people have a "stall" at this stage. It isn't really a stall til you've gone several weeks. (for example, I've been stalled since before Thanksgiving)

On a side note.... I am absolutely amazed a doctor or insurance company would agree to gastric bypass with a starting weight of 185! For heaven's sake, that's many peoples goal weight! Crazy

ETA: You got gastric bypass to lose 20 pounds??!!
vim_and_vinegar
on 2/9/12 7:35 am
"ETA: You got gastric bypass to lose 20 pounds??!!"

That was my reaction too!
 What the WHAT?

mustangmama
on 2/9/12 9:11 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I had the lapband in 2001 and had medical issues that resulted in complications with the lapband requiring it's removal.  My bariactric surgeon felt the RNY would be better for me than the sleeve given some of my medical issues and my insurance company agreed.  So, yes, weird to have RNY for 20-pound weightloss, but the alternative of nothing, wasn't an option.  Can you imagine all of a sudden not having the tool that helped you reach your goal weight?

I was told that I may lose weight slower, but no one told me why or if I should be eating more calories...I'm going to make an appointment with my nutritionist to go over what I'm eating to see if it's too much or too little.

Thanks for responding...

jazzycatz
on 2/8/12 10:36 pm - Joppa, MD

Since you are a revision and a lightweight your loss will quite likely be slower than others.  It seems to be the way it often goes. 

But if you are consuming around 800 calories a day and burning up over half of those than I would think that is part of your problem as well.  Your body most likely needs 800 calories just to make it through the day if you did nothing but lay in bed.  Have you calculated your BMR?  That will tell you how many calories your body needs daily.  And that figure is if you did nothing but lay in bed.  Google BMR, calculate that.  It's a good place to start. 

mustangmama
on 2/9/12 9:14 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
Thanks for the information.  I am definitely eating below my BMR requirements and I've only been doing that because my doctor's literature says the first few months you should only be eating around 400-600 calories.  I'm going to follow up with my nutritionist because I'm thinking that can't be possible now that I'm eating solids.

JamieL846
on 2/8/12 11:04 pm - MI
So I am guessing you had Lapland first then a second surgery later to change to RNY? Maybe you need to increase your calories with lean protein? Probably too soon for much solids? Maybe increase the protein and do more anaerobic and less aerobic to gain some muscle which will then burn the fat. I am at just about the same point too! At 170 with goal of 150...I am about to give this work out plan a try....http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
mustangmama
on 2/9/12 9:17 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I'm getting in the bare minimum of protein, so I think that's a wise suggestion.  Thanks for the sending the link, I'm checking it out now.

flyingwoman
on 2/9/12 9:27 pm
Regardless of what your RMR is or your caloric rate is, the stall that comes within a month or a month and a half after surgery is nearly ubiquitous. It just happens. As much as we have been indoctrinated to the idea of calories in and out, the truth is that the body has mechanisms to hold on for dear life (because that what it considers is on the line) to your weight. The first stall is classically an example of that body mechanism. If you just keep to plan and follow through, it will let go and the stall will break. If you only have 20ish pounds or so to loose, then really don't worry about stalls in the first year. You can not help but lose that in your golden window.
mustangmama
on 2/9/12 9:37 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
Thanks...your post made me feel better.  I've been thinking that I might be among that minute percentage of patients who just won't lose with this surgical procedure...or that maybe my surgeon didn't really do the RNY...crazy I know, but it seems incredulous to not lose when I'm doing everything right.  I'm glad to hear that it's very common to have the first stall so soon out.