labs/deficiencies take time??

czechsmix8
on 2/10/12 11:18 am - MD

Had a question pop in my head.  Just had my 3 month labs done and was told my levels were in normal range.  I was relieved because I haven't done that great with my vitamins.

So, I started wondering if the deficiencies usually take more time to show up.  Are you more likely to have your levels off as time goes by??

poet_kelly
on 2/10/12 11:25 am - OH
Yes, it can take a long time to develop certain deficiencies.  It's always a good idea to get a copy of your lab report so you can see if something is falling since the last time labs were done, even if it's still in the "normal" range.  Also, remember that the ranges on the lab report are NOT actually the ranges you need to be in for good health, they are the averages of a bunch of test subjects.  So if your vitamin D or B12 is within that reference range, it can still be dangerously low.  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JamieL846
on 2/10/12 11:56 am - MI
 I was also told that other than a bone density test, there is no test for calcium deficiency...
rbb825
on 2/10/12 1:23 pm - Suffern, NY

You can judge a calcium defieincy if your calcium levels get really low, really high, if your PTH is too high.  If your calcium is too low you are absorbitng your calcium. If your calcium is too high you are either not taking enough or you are taking the wrong type and you are leaking calcium from your bones into your blood.  If your PTH is high, it means that you are either not taking enough calcium, are vitamin D deficient or both.  If you increase your calcium and your D, you PTH will almost  always go back to normal unless it is high due to a tumor of the parathyroid.

AddisynsMommy
on 2/10/12 10:13 pm - FL
 I started getting copies from my PCP bc her nurse was telling me my b12 was normal even tho it was barely 400 I had to explain to her that it was too low and certain things can start happening when it drops that low. It took me arguing a few times with them to make them finally see that just bc it is in a normal range doesn't mean its healthy for me!! bc proactive and dont let them try and dictate to you whats best!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/10/12 10:56 pm - OH
Your body can store certain vitamins, so even when you are not getting enough of them it will not show up in your labs for a while. Other vitamins are not stored and deficiencies will show up very quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 295 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views