passing gas

mpjones
on 2/25/12 2:57 am
Ok, first of all I NEVER thought I would be asking this on a public forum BUT--after reading post about this subject  I thought I would give it a shot. I'm a very private person (some would say inhibited) anyhow I have NEVER NEVER NEVER  knowingly passed gas in front of anyone ( not even my husband of 46 years) --everyone talks about the bad gas pains after the surgery--I don't think I can handle that. Do they give you something for that or could I take a couple boxes of GasX with me and chug on them? Is there anything I could take before the surgery or would that break the NPO thing? The idea of having to pass gas with a room mate or visitors present is just something I can not fathom doing.
MichelleNC
on 2/25/12 4:05 am
 I don't really remember passing gas after my surgeries. The gas would release thru your body especially shoulders. The nurses told me that is where it would be worst and they were right. Hope this helps. I avent had my RNY but it might be different.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Jacobsmama08
on 2/25/12 4:07 am - Morgan Hill, CA
I hate to be blunt, but honey, you're gonna have to get over it. I am 9 ish months post op and I still fart like a truck driver. Luckily I have never had an issue with it, so I just let it rip. There's nothing you can do about, and GasX just relieves the gas inside, which means guess what, makes you fart more. You will become thankful you are farting, because the opposite, not farting probably means you're all stopped up, ie constipated, and you WILL go through some of that, too, rest assured.... Take lots of fiber, lots of water, and just go with it. It is unavoidable.

Not to mention the noise your stomach will make, farting is the least of your worries, in a quiet room, my hubby can hear my stomach 10 feet away.  LOL.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

mpjones
on 2/25/12 8:12 am
mpjones
on 2/25/12 8:14 am

I guess SOMEHOW I'm going to have to get rid of some of my inhibitions--Maybe I should start with my husband--after this many years he would probably have a heart attack !!1

funkysista613
on 2/25/12 9:22 am
 lol! same here with all that you said!
mirlyn2012
on 2/25/12 4:08 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
I'm 6 days post op and haven't had to pass gas in front of anyone. The gas pain I got was all internal and there was no passing it. now I can say when you break wind, make sure you're on the toilet.... Juss sayin.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
mpjones
on 2/25/12 8:15 am
Advice duly noted-lol.
CarolBeth
on 2/25/12 4:50 am - SoCal, CA
So many posters complained about the horrible gas after surgery, but I just never had that problem.  I am now 7+ months out, and I only get bad gas when I eat grains like quinoa, barley, oats, etc.  So...the gas is not inevitable.  Maybe you'll be lucky like me.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

mpjones
on 2/25/12 8:10 am
From your mouth to God's ear !!!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 360 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 267 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 169 views
What's on your Monday Menu?