Snack Slump - Need New Ideas

Gail S.
on 3/4/12 7:37 pm - New York, NY

What are your favorite high protein snacks? Not bars or shakes, real food. I can't look at Greek yogurt anymore. I've eaten so much of it in the last two years. I need new foods! Help!

SafetyTurtle
on 3/4/12 8:38 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I eat parmesan cheese pizza chips a lot.

I put 1 tbsp of parmesan cheese (real stuff, not the green shaker can LoL) on a well-greased cookie sheet, along with a slice of turkey pepperoni or 3 slices of the mini turkey pepperonis (Hormel).  Oven at 400F, I put them in (12 on a sheet) for 7 minutes with the heat on, turn the heat off and let them sit 3 minutes more, then let them cool for 5 minutes outside the oven.  Usually I transfer them to a paper towel for the cooling time.  They keep in food storage containers for a couple days (I dunno if they'd last more, they just get eaten here!), so you can make a few trays to keep around for a quick snack.

The way I make them, 6 chips have 160 calories (72 from fat), 8g of fat, 0.5g of carbs, 16.5g of protein. Some people dip them in pizza, spaghetti, or marina sauce so if you track your food you'll need to add those stats in.  I just eat them plain.  

We made them with asiago once, no pepperoni.  That was yummy, too. 

Gina :~)

Windim
on 3/4/12 9:02 pm - Fountain City, WI
One of my current faves is to wrap lean deli meat around string cheese. Its quick and easy and oh so delicious. Have you checked out Bariatric Foodie or The World According to Eggface? Both of them post almost unlimited ideas on foods, snacks and drinks that are all pouch friendly

grmadeb01
on 3/4/12 10:27 pm - FL
i also make the pizza chips, but i add what ever pizza toppings you like i have added onions, lunch meat, pepperoni, turkey pepperoni, i have added some of the italian sausage crumbles and the beef crumbles...i add what ever cheese i have on hand, oreagno, garlic powder, italian seasoning, i go light on the seasonings...melt mixture on parchment paper in oven and eat, we dip them in pizza sauce...i have eaten them cold...it helps when you have a pizza craving also..i also keep in my purse, a nut trail mix, beef jerky and a protein bar for those just in case episodes when out and about.
debby
hedrider
on 3/4/12 11:59 pm - Midlothian, TX
Mmmm hummus!  I eat it with cucumber slices, but I'll also eat it with deli meat rollups too.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Amy Smith
on 3/5/12 12:21 am
I am one who if I am getting a snack it should be ready to go; therefore, some of my non-protein shake/ bar favorites are:
Ostrim (It is an ostrich "slimjim") - GNC and Vitamin shop carries them so you can try them or order on Amazon.
PB2 & 34 "crackers" - PB2 is dehydrated peanut butter (comes in chocolate peanut butter too) 34 are crackers I get from amazon. (could also use celery or banana, etc. as a vehicle for the yummy (and lower calorie) peanut butter)
fresh cut mixed fruit
ShredSnacks - these are sold at some convenience stores (It is 170 calories and it shredded chicken and cubes of chess.) More like a meal , but filling.

I may have had a few extra potholes along the way, but the journey has been good!   

• RNY- Christiana Institute of Advanced Surgery - Dr. Peters 8/09 
  • Medial Thigh lift & Brachioplasty - Dr. Macrea 7/2011  
  • LBL - Dr. Joseph Michaels (Sibley Memorial) 12/22/2011
  • Upper Body Lift with Mastoplexy - Dr. Joseph Michaels 12/20/2012

LJ1972
on 3/5/12 12:22 am - FL
turkey pepperoni w/ laughing cow cheese
cottage cheese w/ sliced fruit
SF pudding w/ protein powder added
Hillery82211
on 3/5/12 12:28 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
1.  dry roasted edamame (in place of dry roasted peanuts).  A 1/4 cup serving is only 130 calories and 14g protein.

2. humus and carrot sticks

3.  Turkey Peperoni and sliced cheese "sliders" 

4.  Deli meat and string cheese roll ups (I pop em in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to warm up)

5.  Apple slices and peanut butter ( I mix the 2 tbsp peanut butter with 1/4 scoop of chcolate protein powder to give it a chcolate taste and to up the protein)

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
lilbear412
on 3/5/12 2:00 am - MN
those cheese bites sound good i need some parmesan..nummy and hillery deli meat wrapped around string cheese and nuked for a bit..what an awesome idea..

I eat real pbutter when i eat it because pb2 takes out all the VERY GOOD FOR YOU oils that pbutter is good for you for.  I don't eat pbutter that often though.

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess