Had food first time post-op and OMG! Was I wrong?

Popclub
on 3/9/12 12:19 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
Ok, so I went for my fist post-op visit (surgery was 2/28) yesterday. I was cleared for soft, non-chew foods.

First thing I ate was a little mashed potatoes. I had about 1/2 cup (1 scoop) and took my time eating it. No problems.

Later, I tried a 1/2 cup Activia yogurt with 1/3 scoop Unflavored Unjury protein mixed in. Took my time with that too. No problems.

Well, forward several hours later and I wake up having to hit the bathroom. I was up and down with diarrhea all night (and still some today). Now I worry about dehydration because it's not easy getting down all the liquids.

I am afraid to try to eat again, although I suspect it was the yogurt.

Tell me, is it normal to have this experience the first few times you eat?

Let me know because I am a little disappointed. I was looking forward to moving to the next step.

Thanks
Beejay

Beejay

JerseyJim
on 3/9/12 12:40 am - Sayre, PA
Lactose intolerance is very common early out.  Mine resolved itself after a couple of months, and now I eat as much dairy as I want without issues.  During those first two months I used a lot of Lactaid products.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Frances S.
on 3/9/12 12:50 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 Any yogurt that isn't plain has added sugar in it.  Activia lists sugar and fructose in the ingredients list.  This is why you see so many post-ops eating plain greek yogurt and then doctoring it up to sweeten it with non-sugar sweeteners like Truvia, sugar free syrups, etc.  I would also skip the mashed potatoes with something with more protein in it like cottage cheese, yogurt, cream soups with added protein, pureed anythign with protein.. I used to like to puree some ricotta cheese with some turkey lunch meat.. was really yummy and lots of protein.

lanagirl
on 3/9/12 12:52 am
I would check the sugar in the yogurt. I know Activia has too much for me.

sweet-tart2012
on 3/9/12 1:18 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Just curious.  Could you be eating too much?  If the other suggestions don't work, you might go back to 1/4 cup and see how you do.  Best of luck!

Popclub
on 3/9/12 1:25 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Yes, that occurred to me too. So I will cut down the amount. Thks
Popclub
on 3/9/12 1:23 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Thanks! I wondered about the sugar level in the yogurt, too late.I bet that is the culprit
I plan to start purée to get more protein soon.
I bought Lactaid cottage cheese.
poet_kelly
on 3/9/12 1:46 am - OH
It's pretty common to have diarrhea in the early days after surgery.  It might have been the yogurt, but if it happened several hours later it might have been that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 3/9/12 2:17 am
Kroger's Carbmaster yogurt has 8 g of protein and a good flavor but no fruit flavors allowed for a while. You can mix it into a variety of other food too...like jello, etc.
Popclub
on 3/9/12 2:23 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Spoke with my NUT. She thinks it was the Activia. She said Activia makes you go to the bathroom anyway and is not good for now.  She suggested no yogurt for a day or two and then try Greek. 

She said it did not sound like dumping but more like Lactose intolerance, which I am.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views