Is this Reactive Hypoglycemia?

Jenny_D
on 3/13/12 3:52 am - Canton, GA
 OK....confession time. I ate TERRIBLY last night, but please put the judging of that aside and tell me if what I experienced this morning is Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Last night I wasn't too hungry for dinner so all I had was the crust of my son's slice of pizza at about 6:30pm. I followed that with a Carb Smart ice cream bar at about 8:00pm, and then the kicker - I ate a whole box of JuJuBes while watching TV between 8:30 - 10:30pm.  Then I went to bed. 

I woke up at 5:30am this morning to my 2 year old son calling for meand when I got up to go to his room it was as if I was drunk. I felt woozy and dizzy and stumbled my way to his room grabbing walls for support. I chalked it up to jumping up from a dead sleep.

I went back to sleep and got up at 7:30am. I was still feeling 'drunk' (for lack of a better explanation). My head felt cloudy and I was clumsy and dizzy. I was stumbling like I had a few too many ****tails. I was fine when I sat down, but walking was an issue.

I had a bowl of cheerios with skim milk and felt a little better, but still cloudy and a bit dizzy. An hour later I had a greek yogurt and the dizziness went away. Now I just feel hungover.

Thoughts?

Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/13/12 4:03 am
Sounds like it!

This should be a good reminder to you, never have carbs without a protein!

Hope you feel better soon,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Kim S.
on 3/13/12 4:06 am - Helena, AL
Seems like the timing is off if I consider how mine presents. 

My RH is usually within an hour or two max after I've consumed something high carb/sugar.....it starts with my hands shaking, then my head gets fuzzy, and I see stars.....I've never had an episode take that long to kick in. 

I have more of a 'hangover' feeling after dumping...which I only have mild dumping on a few ocassions.....my RH is remedied by eating something protein and a few good carbs.

Do you have a blood sugar monitor?  If you ever feel that way, test your blood....that will tell the tale.  My lowest was 60.

Kim

poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 5:21 am - OH
I'm not sure.  It was an awfully long time after you'd eaten for RH.  But regardless of what it was, you are probably safe to assume that you don't do so well when you eat a lot of carbs and sugar and no protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Elissa1103
on 3/13/12 5:27 am - IA
That is exactly what happens to me with what I think is RHG (from what I read on here).  Mine can happen anywhere from an hour or two after, sometimes longer.  I think it is all just in how your body processes things, but mine is a direct result of too much sugar with no protein or anything to "counter act" it.  It is the WORST feeling!  So the juju bes probably gotcha!  (gummi bears got me the worst a few weeks ago!)
hedrider
on 3/13/12 5:47 am - Midlothian, TX
The symptoms seem to point to that, but the timeline is off - I agree.  Were you also clammy and cold, sweaty?  That seems to happen with every hypoglycemic reaction.  If I get it it's between 1-3 hours of meals.  And it's so scary that I have this URGE to eat in order to feel better.  It's not something I can just go back to bed with, it's an urgent feeling of need.  Food causes an almost instantaneous relief of symptoms and urgency.

Perhaps you were experiencing hyperglycemia, which has some similar symptoms without the cold, clammy and sweating.  You feel disoriented, have difficulty concentrating, weak...

Either way, I'm sure it was completely related to what you ate in some form or fashion and I would recommend that you make better choices.  I know we all make them, I have for more than my fair share, but that is nothing to play with and it's preventable...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Lady Lithia
on 3/13/12 12:56 pm
One of the things I've found is when I think I'm "fixin" to have an RH episode, sometimes I end up testing HIGH instead of trending low.

I agree that getting a meter is the best plan, because you can only guess until you confirm.

For me one of teh worst RH episodes I have, and the one that prompted me to get a glucose monitor was when I went to bed and had some yoghurt. Fat free, and I've found the milk sugars and added sugars with low protein and no fat always seems to be a bad combo. Two hours later I woke up in a cold sweat, heart racing fit to burst, and feeling horrendously awful... I clued in that it might be RH, I ate a nutty snack, and felt better quicker

Not feeling better quickly after eating, particularly a carby meal, tells me it likely wasn't an RH issue, at least not entirely.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

MickeyDee
on 3/13/12 12:36 pm
Sounds like "Carb Coma" due to too many refined carbs and sugar. So, probably more dumping than RH, but yes, DO eat protein first.

Jenny_D
on 3/13/12 2:42 pm - Canton, GA
Thanks everyone. It was a looong time (over 8 hours) since I had eaten, so I had a feeling it was too long after to be RH, but I had no other answers.

Now though, I am convinced it is unrelated to my RNY. I did wake up with a sore neck, so I think I may have a pinched nerve. This evening, I was playing with my kids in their little playhouse in the back yard and while sitting in a chair I craned my neck way back to see out the little window behind me and everything started spinning really badly.

When it stopped, I made the motion again to see what would happen and it happened again. So now I'm thinking pinched nerve. Scary, for sure.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Most Active