Affording Plastic Surgery

chatterpam
on 3/21/12 7:38 am - PA
I checked with a plastic surgeon in my area about having my arms done.  They were as huge as canned hams and now I can about tie the skin in knots, so it is something I must have done.  She is talking $10,000!  WOW... I didn't expect it would be quite that much.  Then she suggested a body lift to the tune of $40,000.  Between the two - more than my house is worth...

So my question is - where are the bargain plastics?  Mexico?  Maybe the local college where they are learning to do it?  I don't want perfect - just want to be a little less droopy.

LiciaLou
on 3/21/12 7:42 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
I am still pre WLS but have been interested in this. I was poking around on the plastics forum & there are a lot of people on OH that are thrilled with a surgeon in Monterrey, Mexico. I'm kind of leary of leaving the US for major surgery though. Whatever you decide make sure to do your research before hand.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

wendydettmer
on 3/21/12 7:57 am - Rochester, NY
i checked it out here and there is a clinic at the medical school where it is a lot cheaper. it's the same place i had my RNY done, so i plan on having them do a consult when i get to goal.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

chatterpam
on 3/21/12 8:08 am - PA
I would even consider going out of the state if it is a significant savings.  I don't know if we have any plastic surgery schools here - but I am going to check into it...  Thanks!
Mary B.
on 3/21/12 10:59 pm - Southern, MD
Not sure where in PA you are, but both University of MD Medical Center and Johns Hopkins in the Baltimore area have resident programs for low cost plastics options. I dont know much about them, but plan on checking them out. Im also looking into Dr. Sauceda in Mexico and I have had a 'mainstream' plastic surgeon picked out for years now.

UMMC Discount Plastic Surgery Resident Clinic

Johns Hopkins Plastic Surgery Chief Resident Clinic
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 8:48 am, edited 3/21/12 8:52 am
I went to a guy who did an awesome job on my arms and it was about $5,000. I haven't had weight loss surgery yet, but I lost so much weight on my own I was having a really hard time exercising with all the hanging skin so I had to do something. Did she want to do lipo on your arms too? Lipo makes everything a lot more expensive.

edit: I sent you a message

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/21/12 10:33 am - OH
Just talk to another surgeon in your area!!!!  Prices vary greatly by surgeon and geographic location, but $10K is too high. I got three "estimates" on my arms, all within the $5,000 - $7500 range.

Keep in mind that she makes money off of suggesting the most expensive procedure, so she has a vested interest in you having a full body lift.  Unless you have a LOT of extra skin, though, you can probably get acceptable results from just a tummy tuck or just a thigh lift.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

KittenLove
on 3/21/12 10:36 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Try at least 2 others... Cause that's way too much.

Be happy. 

Laura in Texas
on 3/21/12 12:43 pm, edited 3/22/12 12:42 am
I paid $3900 total to have my arms done 2 years ago and my arms are awesome now. When I was researching back then, arms usually ranged from 3-6K. Keep looking.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sunbunnyqt
on 3/21/12 11:26 pm - FL
Is this just the surgeon's fee? What about the surgical center, the anesthesia guy?
Most Active
Recent Topics