Probiotics - Do you or don't you?

hedrider
on 3/22/12 1:47 am - Midlothian, TX
I take a probiotic every morning with breakfast because I've read all the good things about them.  However, I just don't know if it's making a difference, or if I'm taking the right one, or if I'm even taking it right at all...

Do you take a probiotic?  What kind do you take?  When do you take it?

Why?
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Melody D.
on 3/22/12 3:35 am - Pueblo, CO
 I was taking them for awhile myself.  I too didn't notice much difference so I discontinued them.  Besides that, I take enough pills to put a horse down.  My biggest problem is gaining wait.  I currently weigh 110 and I think I'd feel better (I feel so tired and drug down all the time) between 127 and 135.  So, now I'm hoping to get to a point where I can afford to put a plan together with the nutritionist to get me up there.  
Panniculectomy & Mastopexy (Breast Reduction & Lift)- 1/3/12
Upper Thigh Lift & Upper Arm Lift- 3/13/12
HW-290,
SW-288, GW-127, CW-111

mpjones
on 3/22/12 4:17 am
I was put on them when I was hospitalized last summer for diverticulitis and have taken them every since. I buy the ones from our local Meijers--I thinks it's Natures Bounty when they go on sale 2 for whatever.
christinalee
on 3/22/12 4:25 am - At Home in, NH
I do. 

I take a digestive enzyme daily.  And when I buy them, I take a wonderful little dark chocolate pro-
biotic I found at Walmart.  They are called Healthy delights and besides having all the great biotics for your innerds, they taste great and provide a 10 calorie dessert, sortov.  I'm all for enjoying things that not only make us feel better, function better, but serve as dessert too!  When I buy them I take one after every meal.

http://probioticbites.com/

Also, here's news of a 2009 study that says probiotic-taking gastric bypass patients lose more weight long term than non-probiotic takers.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090713114512.ht m

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

myminime
on 3/22/12 4:26 am - Eugene, OR
I take PB8 at lunch time. I really think it keeps things moving and I stay regular even without the extra fiber or Miralax. Which is nice, because I was tiring of the daily Miralax
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

Brittany M.
on 3/22/12 4:41 am
I've been taking one with my morning vitamins every day for the past 5 months or so.  I don't know if it's making a difference for me or not.  I had been having horrible IBS-like digestive issues and they are now gone, but that may be a function of the dietary changes I made at the same time.

Anyway, I've taken both Culturelle and Sustenex and I've not noticed any difference between the two.  I only have another week's worth of pills left and I'm probably going to stop taking them for a while to see if there's a difference.  If my digestive problems come back, I'll be buying more for sure.
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 3/22/12 5:23 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
Hey, good topic. I've been wondering about probiotics.
We have a local yogurt company, Nancy's Yogurt, that for more than 30 years has made fabulous yogurt with live cultures, like acidopholous. Is that what probiotics are?
Mary B.
on 3/22/12 5:25 am - Southern, MD

I pretty much stopped losing at 8 months post op. I began them around month 5. I had read that study that said post rny patients lost about 10% more weight taking them. I think another poster put the link to the study up.

I took the Bariatric Advantage...2 bottles worth of those and one bottle of the Puritan's Pride which I believe was the one used in the study.

Unfortunately, I didnt notice a single difference.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

SafetyTurtle
on 3/22/12 7:18 am - Cincinnati, OH
I have been taking Puritan's Pride b/c it was the one named in a study that said post-WLS patients lose more weight when taking this probiotic.  It's been...2 months maybe?  I was mid-stall when I started them.  I guess I won't really know if they're speeding things up until I stop taking them.  I still have a full bottle and a half bottle.  I figure they can't hurt me so why not.

Gina :~)

hedrider
on 3/22/12 8:50 am - Midlothian, TX
 Thanks everyone!  I'm most interested in anyone that's had any resolution in gas, bloating, or other IBS type symptoms. I have a lot of those still, so it's either not helping much or I'm not taking the right kind or at the right time. It seems most people don't see much difference either.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 386 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics