Migraine meds

momzy2ncec
on 4/12/12 10:54 am
VSG on 07/17/12
I was wondering if anyone after surgery still has migraines and is there any meds for them that doesn't contain asprin?
KatCooper
on 4/12/12 11:21 am - Collierville, TN
 I still have them and I use Imitrex on  a regular basis.  It is not a pain medication, though.  I use tramadol and lortab for pain, but it is rare that I need them if I catch the migraine early.

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

rbb825
on 4/12/12 11:58 am - Suffern, NY
I used to get migraines almost daily.  It was terrible.  I would have to go to the ER almost once per month after I would have one for 3 days long and couldnt take it anymore. They would put me in a dark room, give me IV fluids, IV nausea meds (back them compazine), a shot of demerol and it would eventually calm down.

then I finally went to a Neurologist.  I had been on many different meds and nothing was working.  I couldnt use NSAIDS due to ulcers and fuircet didnt' help either jsut kept me awake from the caffeine.  So, after many tests to rule everything else out, he put me on preventative meds and that was the best thing that ever could have happened.  He put me on Topamax.  First they went from daily to 3 or 4 times per week so he increased my dose so they were still 2 to 3 times per week so he added verapamil which was a blood pressure medication.  the combination worked great.  I was then getting them only once per week or a little less and I was extactic - from daily and sometimes lasting 3 days to maybe once per week or less, I was very happy.  Then I had the RNY and my blood pressure and pulse got so low that I could no longer take the verapamil. I had to stop it when my BP was 80/50 and my pulse was 50 with palpitations from being too slow.  So, he stopped the verapamil and increased the topamax  - I was only getting them like 2 times per month.  It was great.  Then after 2 years post op, I was officially post menopausal, we realized I now was getting the migraines about once per month and sometimes every few months - it is great.  Topamax is wonderful - I would never give it up.  Somepeople have side effects from it but I have none.  Another good side effect from it is weight loss, that many people like about it.

So, if you get migraines atleast 2 times per week, you are a candidate for a preventative - ask your doctor for topamax - you might need to go to a neurologist - many PCP are leary to give it out but Nruologists understand the benefits of it and know what to watch for if there are sideeffects.

Then if you do get a migraine - you can take what is called a triptan - they are migraine medications like imitrex, zomig, maxalt - you take them at the start of a migraine and then if the first one doesnt'work, you take another one, 2 hours later.  The max is usually 2 in a 24 hour period and up to  12 or 18 in a month, depending on the drug.

I take zomig = they come in descintigrating tablets like a sublingual called zomig ZMT - imitrex comes in a injections and  a nasal spray - each one has its own different type.  I find the ZMT work faster tha the pills

TammyH968
on 4/12/12 12:48 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
I take maxalt and phenergan for my migraines.  They are working with me though because since the surgery they have not been as effective.  Not sure what to do anymore.  Just tired of getting migraines.  If they told me dirt was the cure I would run right out and eat dirt. LOL  But yes I still get my migraines even after surgery.  Hope this helps some.  Good luck.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/12/12 1:42 pm
RNY on 01/10/12
 Ask your doctor for a prescription for Fioricet.  It's what my neuro gave me since I can no longer take Excdedrin.

Also, Alsuma is a new sumatriptan injection.  You can get a discount card for either 8 or 12 injections for $4.  (The card comes with the sample you can get from your doc.)  it works as well for me as Imitrex.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

PMarie
on 4/13/12 12:23 am - Bloomington, MN
 I take the generic form of Fioricet- Butalbital.
I had classic, severe migraine for years, which subsided post menopause.  Then I started getting a 'numb' tingly feeling around my left eye, which then progressed to headache.  The neurologist diagnosed it as 'atypical migraine' and presribed the Butalbital.  Thankfully, I do not have the sensitivities to light and sound, or the nausea that accompanied my earlier migraines. 

Most Active
Recent Topics