long term post op troubles

Ruby_Trout
on 4/25/12 1:21 pm - Canada

Hi all,

I have been absent for much of the past six to eight months from the boards.  I have been doing really well with my weight loss and activity.  However, I noticed that at Christmas I let things slip and I am struggling to get back on board in the manner I was before.  I am very active running up to fifty miles a week.  I am training for my third half marathon in less than nine months (Oct '11, Feb '12, and soon Jun '2). 

I am struggling with the amount I am eating.  I am constantly grazing on garbage and eating way too much.  I am maintaining my weight, but I need to get it together and get back on track or I am gonna gain, gain, gain.  I am also petrified that I am going to stretch my stoma and pouch.  I am full, full, full and still want to eat. My portions are too big and too frequent.  I am hoping that by coming back to the boards, it will be the beginning of getting back on track and focusing on what I need rather than want. 

As you can tell, I have awareness of my situation, but I need something to help me be accountable.  I live in a small rural town so going to a group session is not an option.  I need some support here and it has got to be positive.  So, haters and lecturers please go away.  I need all the positive energy I can harness. 

Peace,

Caralee

Ruby Trout 

Vivian Prouty
on 4/25/12 1:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Caralee.....NO judging from me.    You KNOW what you need to be doing.   Be accountable to Dailyplate.com.    Get on there and log ALL the foods you eat even if you sneak something and think NO ONE sees you....Log that too.   Also get out your measuring cups and measure your food.    Stay away from anything to drink for 30 minutes before and after your meals.    At least you are walking or running 50 miles a week.   That is FAR MORE than I could ever do....I am proud of you for that.   Trash ALL the foods that are NOT on program.    I know that you will do great because YOU HAVE DONE GREAT before.    Remember you CAN DO THIS !!!!  Come here and post what you are eating if it will help you out.   We are here to encourage and support you.   I know YOU CAN DO IT !!!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Barb H.
on 4/25/12 2:23 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Hi Caralee,

I think Vivian has a great suggestion by not having the unhealthy foods around to tempt you. I applaud you for being as aware as you are. This is a huge step. Now, it's just figuring out how to cope with what sounds more like head hunger. Head hunger brings a whole nuther meaning to "Hunger Games," huh?

When I am struggling with head hunger, one of the best things I can do is spend some time with myself to see if there is something going on emotionally, or talk with someone or journal.

I'm so glad you have returned to OH. I hope you will find the support and help you are seeking.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

lynnc99
on 4/25/12 10:29 pm
Is it possible that you NEED to eat more because of the running schedule? You are undoubtedly burning a lot of fuel at 50 miles a week....aside from watching the portion sizes per meal or snack, you may in fact need more calories than the rest of us.

I would suggest keeping a detailed log for a week or so. If you cannot sit down with a dietician, do you have access to a trainer at a gym who might have some insights as to caloric needs for distance runners?

And maybe we have some post op marathoners or triathletes here who can help! Bottom line is....I think your body needs more than tyoical post ops to maintain that activity level.
MichelleNC
on 4/26/12 1:17 am
 I agree you might need more calories. Paul on the exercise board could probably help.he is a runner too and eats more carbs I believe and calories to support his workouts. Good luck

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Ruby_Trout
on 4/26/12 3:56 am, edited 4/26/12 3:56 am - Canada

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  I am back to logging meals (fitday.com) and only this morning realized I am suffering head hunger.  I saw a post just a few minutes ago and wrote down the info one woman said her Psych gave her.  It asks you to ask yourself:  Are you hungry, angry, lonely, tired or stressed (HALTS)? I can answer yes to the ALTS part. Angry with what is happening in my job (I am a teacher and we are being severely pushed by our employer); lonely because my love interest works out of town four days a week and it is seems like forever until he gets home;  tired because I really have too much on my plate with two children, a new relationship, full time work, a house, garden, and a family farm to keep up; and stressed because I know I am going to fail somewhere if I don't reel it in fast.   I am being more aware. Now I need to act and make the changes.   

In so far as needing more calories, yes, I do and I know that but it has still been excessive on my part.  On top of the running, I am a farm girl and will soon be starting to change irrigation pipe three or four days a week.  I also downhill ski and I am learning to downhill bike this Summer.  I am not really interested in losing a whole pile of more weight.  I need to get to 150 but most of that is not going to happen except for after reconstructive surgery.  With close to 145 pounds behind me, I can't complain! 

Vivian and others, thank you.  I just needed a few words of encouragement.  The good words always go a really long way with me. 

Ruby Trout 

pattymac65
on 4/26/12 10:53 am
I like Sparkpeople and just bought a fitbit ultra.  I'm a gadge type of gal.  Good luck to you.  Coming back here was a great start!  You can do this!!!