Meeting with surgeon in a couple weeks.

gishstar
on 4/27/12 6:28 pm
I've been putting this off for a couple years now because I thought I could do this on my own. I truly honestly did. I would lose weight, gain more back, lose again, and gain again... I know I wasn't being totally faithful to my diets, but I also knew that I was utilizing appropriate portion control too.

It wasn't until I saw my family doctor a couple years ago because I was concerned about my weight, not one of my doctors (my OBGYN, or my family practice) was concerned at all. They said my weight was fine. With a BMI of 40 +, I don't call that fine.

So my family doctor recommended weight loss surgery. I was taken aback by the suggestion, I guess I honestly didn't think that I needed weight loss surgery. I said "no thank you" and asked about other options. He went through a spcheel on various extremely low-calorie, or high protein diets. None of which sounded all that appealing to me, nor could I afford it either. That was the end of that.

Last week, I had my yearly exam with my OBGYN. I stepped on the scale at her clinic and the scale read "258 lbs", I had to do a double take. I know that when I go to the doctor's office their scales aren't all that forgiving, but come on! I even had my shoes, AND my coat off! That should at leat have taken off like... oh I don't know... 3 pounds? Well, at least that's what the Wii Fit board says it adds.

While I'm having a silent panic attack about the unexpected weight gain (becuase I had just weighed in thar morning at home at 252), the nurse is assuring me that it's just because it's the end of the day, and we're all heavier at the end of the day. I'm not necessarily freaking out about the 258. I can sort of handle 258. What I couldn't handle was that I had exceeded my weight gain "high number" of "don't get pass 255!" and there I was... 3 lbs past 255.

I've been eating a super healthy diet over the last few months, 3 of those months I was on NutriSystem, and the other 3 were spent following a very healthy vegan/vegetarian diet. I made sure I got all the right proteins/minerals/calories in for the day. I would "splurge" on 1 24 oz bottle of coke, and then drink water. I'm not going crazy with food. I'm being smart about it, like crazy smart. But here I am... still gaining weight.

After my exam with my OBGYN, I asked her about the possibility of weight loss surgery. She said she's had patients who were pregnant after having weight loss surgery with no complications at all. I explained that one of the main reasons we're not having kids right now is because of my weight. I don't want to be a crappy mom because I can't chase my kid and play with them.

So, she scheduled a consultation with a surgeon on May 16th.

When I got the call from her office receptionist to confirm the appointment and time, she asked me if I have a preference in surgeons. I thought to myself, "What a silly question! Do Jack-O-Lanterns have a preference as to who gets to carve them?" She suggested two surgeons who are proficient in the surgery, since I had had my gallbladder out 3 years ago by one of the surgeons I said, "Uh... him. Yeah, Dr. Peery." The woman was thrilled that I had chosen my surgeon and set up the appointment.

The only people I've told about this surgery is my husband, my boss, a co-worker who talks incessantly about her own gastric bypass, and that's it. No one else knows. I'm not telling the rest of my family, ever. I don't want them to know I had weight loss surgery because I don't feel that they'd understand. I might tell them later when I'm more "at peace" with the decision, but today is not that day.

As I've been doing research and trying to prepare myself for this initial consultation, I wanted to get some opinions from other people who have had the surgery.

Where I work, our insurance company has a list of requirements to qualify for gastric bypass. One of those is you have to follow a doctor supervised diet for at least 6 months. Another is you have to have a BMI between 35 and 40. Or have a BMI of over 40.

If my BMI is over 40, does that automatically qualify me for surgery? 

I know I can call my insurance company to ask, but I wanted to get a discussion going so I can hear all your stories too.

Thanks for reading,
Have a happy Saturday.

Ari
stlfocus
on 4/28/12 3:04 am - IA
All of us that have WLS had that moment when we knew it was time.  I ignored that for a long time and waited until I was 60 (dumb).  I went to an informational seminar and waited another 2 years  before I had the courage to make an appt with the surgeon. 

My insurance company also required a 6 month supervised diet with my PCP.  I had to meet with her every month without fail.  If I missed an appointment, I had to start the process over from the beginning.

In additiion, I had to have a mammeogram, pap, colonscopy, EKG and multiple blood tests.  I met with the surgeon several times, the nutrionist multiple times, the physical therapist once, and have a psych evaluation.

After paperwork was submitted, I was approved in 2 days.  I was stunned and then put off the surgery to the very last minute the approval allowed.

Finally did it on 9/19/11, and only regret was not doing it sooner.  I started iat 251 and 7 months later I am at 157 - 7 lbs from goal.  Those last 7 lbs. are going very slowly.

I would call your insurance and get definite specfic requirements so you are not spinning your wheels.  After you start with the surgeon, they will make sure all of those requirements are met because it is their goal to get you to surgery.

As far as BMI goes, it depends on the insurance company.  I think I was only 37, but I had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesteral, and bad knees.

Good luck with your decision.

poet_kelly
on 4/28/12 3:36 am - OH
It will depend on your insurance company and the particular plan you've purchased from them.  So you should call them to ask to find out exactly what your plan covers and what it requires.  Even if someone else has the same insurance company, they might have a different plan and it could have different rules.

Usually, companies that cover WLS cover it if your BMI is over 40 OR if it is 35 -40 if you also have a comorbidity like high blood pressure or diabetes.

Many companies require a six month supervised diet before they'll pay for WLS, regardless of your BMI.  It seems like a pain, and research has actually shown it does not improve the chance of success with WLS so it seems its main purpose is to discourage or disqualify people from having WLS.  But if it's a hoop you have to jump through, then do it.  You can use that time to prepare yourself for surgery and to learn more about WLS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gishstar
on 4/28/12 5:55 am
Thanks for the feedback and sharing your stories! I appreciate it.
I'll be giving my insurance company a call on Monday to find out more information.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 192 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?