I can barely contain myself

MBallard
on 5/3/12 11:06 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
Today I have my first appointment with the surgeon!!! I'm praying that i am prepared enough.. I put together a binder with all of my doctors notes relating to my co-morbidities, my failed attempts with Weigh****chers, Jenny Craig and ediets. My bmi is 40.6 so I think I should be in the clear. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row that way when he submits everything to insurance I wont have to worry about anything. Can you guys think of anything I might want to prepare before hand just so i'm more prepared? Thanks in advance!

Surgery date - February 7, 2013

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/3/12 11:10 pm - Baltimore, MD
Many insurance companies want a five year documented history of obesity (not all...you should check yours). If so, you might want to give a call to your PCP. With mine it was as simple as submitting the chart he keeps in my file of my weight every time I come in.

Of course take a list of meds you take (that's just a matter of course).

Ummmmm...besides that just bring all your questions!

Good luck! This is so exciting!
MBallard
on 5/3/12 11:13 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
I have a little bitty issue with my 5 year weight history. I am an army wife so my husband and I are constantly moving all over the place. I have maybe had 4 or so primary care providers in the past 5 years. I have a weight record from 2006 but thats it. Do you think theres a way i can get around this?

SuzysJourney72
on 5/3/12 11:20 pm - Wilmington, NC
My insurance only required records from 2008 - present, so I would imagine if you have all the way back to 2006 you should be ok!

I agree with Nik about bringing all your questions to your appointment.  Write them down so you don't forget anything.  Make sure to ask if there is a specific diet he wants you on preop and if so, what is it and how long does he want you on it. 

Have you seen your NUT and therapist yet?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/3/12 11:24 pm - Baltimore, MD
 I'd also grill him a bit about his post-op vitamin regimen and eating philosophy. 

Does your surgeon want/expect you to get all your protein from food and never from shakes? (Many surgeons do?)

Does your surgeon belong to the "Flintstone Vitamin" club?

Is your surgeon an "only eat three meals a day?" type of person? (This is especially tricky in the beginning where most meals are barely 150 calories and they expect you to get a certain # of calories/protein per day)

I'd also ask if he/she knows the average % of EBW lost by their patients and how far out they track their success rates. To me the actual info isn't as important as the fact that the surgeon is paying attention to it. Some surgeons are all about the new post ops. Well that's great...when you are a new post op. When you get further out, you want to know your surgeon is still looking out for you. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MBallard
on 5/3/12 11:27 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
Hoprfully, that one report from 2008 should be okay. Believe it or not, my surgeon doesnt require that I go see a NUT and a therapist. They just gave me the names and numbers and said that throughout this process if I feel like I need to talk to them, they are available to me. I will revise my HUGE list of questions into bullet points, I wish there was a thread called "Questions for Doctor" because I always get so nervous and forget everything I was gonna say!

Kay L.
on 5/3/12 11:33 pm - N., AL
It is a good idea to list your questions just for the reason you stated "nerves." We forget that doctors are just people and how important it is that we be our own advocate and get those questions, concerns out there!

Congrats on your appointment. Hope everything is smooth sailing.
MBallard
on 5/3/12 11:35 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
I'll definately keep that in mind! Thanks :)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/3/12 11:35 pm - Baltimore, MD
 Sorry if I am being a downer but that would be a HUGE red flag for me. My insurance company required both but beyond that, it says to me that this isn't a very holistic practice if they don't require any sort of nutrition education or psychological evaluation prior to surgery. This is a big process you are getting into and it is MOSTLY mental, not physical, challenges that can trip you up.

When you go, ask why nutrition education and psychological support is not mandated in the program. If you are ok with the answer, proceed. But I will say that programs with these components built in give a lot of support to their patients (and with little or no additional cost to the patient vs. having to employ your own NUT/therapist which would cost you extra in co-pays and what not).

It's not a reason to "fire" your surgeon, but I'd ask if I were you.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MBallard
on 5/4/12 12:27 am - Fort Bragg, NC
RNY on 02/07/13
it concerned me at first, but I have done alot of research and I decided to go to Yale University Medical Center to get my surgery done (If I get approved that is) I also see a psychologist (my own), a psychiatrist and a nutritionist on a regular basis. (could this be the reason why they didnt require it for me)???

Most Active
Recent Topics