Frustrated :(

j_dizzy03
on 5/19/12 10:15 pm - VA
This coming Tuesday is my 4 weeks post op.  Since then I've only lost 13 pounds :( I got my period may 11th and since then, I've only lost 2 pounds!  I make sure to get all my vitamins in and at least 56 grams of protein from just my shakes alone.  I am on mushy stage and measure precisely 1/4 cup.  I don't even feel hungry so I wonder if I could just have a protein shake instead?  That'll bump up my protein to 84 if I have a shake to replace one of my meals, and another 28 grams if I replace another,etc. 

I have been having some pain on my left side (I think I may have pulled a muscle or tweaked a nerve?)  when I bend, get out of bed, etc. so I haven't been able to work out.  But yesterday, I sucked it up and went on the gym and walked a mile on the tread mill.  Today I'm going to do some strength training with my husband.  I'm hoping this will jump start everything and get losing...  Any advice is welcome :)

Thank  you and enjoy your Sunday!

~Jen
MichelleNC
on 5/19/12 10:52 pm
Don't be frustrated the weight is going to come off. I have learned from being on these boards people will post this and in a few days they will post The Stall Has Been Broken! LOL Give your body a chance to heal and be careful with the strength training at 4 weeks out. Have fun in the gym!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

christinalee
on 5/19/12 11:25 pm - At Home in, NH
My advice: overthinking things at your stage in the journey could be detrimental to your happiness!

So:

1) follow your bariatric program's guidelines
2) relax, breathe
3) follow your bariatric program's guidelines

and if I didn't mention it...

4) relax, breathe

Sounds as if you are doing everything right. Make sure you are cleared for lifting more than 10 pounds and weight training before you begin. You are a mere, what, 26 days out from MAJOR surgery. Your body is trying to tell you something if you are having pain...like "STOP DOING WHAT CAUSED THE PAIN!" Listen to her carefully, afterall, it is "she, who must be obeyed."

Weight loss will happen (really), in it's own time, at it's own pace, and when your body says, "okay I'm ready to drop the weight." Overthinking your progress or radically trying to stimulate the pace of the loss will only **** her off and may endanger your health. So, follow Step 3 and 4:

follow your program guidelines
relax and breathe

And most of all, enjoy the journey, relish your successes and smile! It's a hellova a ride you've only just begun (and yes, feel free to break into a Carpenter's song here).

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

JJ_
on 5/19/12 11:34 pm
  Love your response!

Judy
j_dizzy03
on 5/19/12 11:47 pm - VA
Thank you everyone for your replies :)  I really appreciate you taking your time to reply to me!

I haven't been cleared to lift more than 10 pounds but toning with 5 lbs should be okay, right?

I really am trying hard to follow all the rules...

THANKS, AGAIN
Scaura
on 5/20/12 12:20 am - Fort Collins, CO
You likely do not need to tone at this point unless you just like it.  All doctors are different, but mine says don't worry with strength training until they energy level really kicks up.  He generally hears that people really start feeling their renewed energy at between 40-60 pound loss, but that varies by person.  I certainly have not found any increase in energy, a decrease if anything.  He says to focus on cardio and stamina building exercise.  I do a lot of walking and bike riding.  I am so looking forward to that shot of energy!!

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

j_dizzy03
on 5/20/12 1:09 am - VA
Thank you :)
lesserman
on 5/20/12 1:57 am - Chicago, IL
Hey, I'm with ya...

But, understand that at this point, your body is going to respond in its own way regardless of what you do...I'm just over 6.5 weeks post-op and have dropped a total of 26.6 lbs...I've gotten way too caught up in the accounts of others who dropped 30 and 40 lbs in the first thirty days and it is easy to be envious...

Yes, it's cliche' because it's true...this is a marathon, not a sprint...I tell myself that slow and steady weight loss will prove in the long-run to be healthier as there may not be the issues with loose, flabby skin as is the case with some others and if the drop in weight is more gradual, the more likely it is to be "permanent" and not skyrocket back up like a yo-yo in three to five years...

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

chicagomo
on 5/20/12 3:22 am
Here's one of my alltime favorite quotes from Chinese philosopher Lao Tsu:

Do your work, then step back.

The only path to serenity.

I remind myself this with work, eating, relationships, the Cubs... every day!

maureen
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 212 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 269 views