One week out....no weight loss!!

candlelady
on 5/22/12 7:47 am
I had lap band/rny revision one week ago and have lost NOTHING!!!  I'M so upset...please tell me if I can expect weight loss soon??
Thanks!
Calla Lily
on 5/22/12 7:50 am
RNY on 01/23/12
I have heard that some people ge****er retention from the stress on the body and the IV fluids, so I bet next week you will see a big drop!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

soozieq
on 5/22/12 8:00 am
Give it some time.  You're probably retaining a lot of water and if you haven't pooped yet, you're carrying some weight there. 
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
BWB
on 5/22/12 8:06 am
IV fluids, water retention happens after surgery. It took me a couple of weeks to lose the 34 lbs. I was really upset about it. My skin cracked by my navel and water ran out like a faucet. Gross but true.

courtwillbehealthy
on 5/22/12 8:09 am - burlington, VT
 my surgeon said not to weigh my self for 3 weeks because weight gain in the first 2 
Lady Lithia
on 5/22/12 8:12 am
Most revisions lose slower than normal

Most people who have surgery have a period of liquid retention

One person on here came out of the hospital SIXTY pounds over what she went into the hospital. It was a month before she got down to her pre-op weight.

Have patience, follow the plan, throw away the scale, have faith, and weigh yourself only monthly.

This is a process not instantaneous

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

AUDREY A.
on 5/22/12 10:06 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12

I wonder why revisions lose slower than normal, I know I am proof of that... just curious though.

Audrey

JaneJetson
on 5/22/12 8:12 am
RNY on 05/07/12
I have never understood people coming right of surgery and expect to have weight loss immediately....  If you are this upset now, heaven help you if you hit a stall and you will.  Go easy on yourself, put the scales away and let your body and mind heal from major surgery.  That in itself is way more important.  Good luck!   Jane
Barbara C.
on 5/22/12 8:19 am - Raleigh, NC

I know that it's upsetting, but it's also perfectly within the range of norms. Some people actually gain weight post op, some lose a great deal within the first few weeks, some lose some weight and then stop; all are 'normal.' Please be sure to contact your Dr's office. They will undoubtedly ease your mind and let you know that it's not that uncommon to experience no loss during the first few weeks, or even experience a gain post op. Your body will soon shed any excess IV fluids that it may be holding onto post operatively. Eventually, your body will start burning the excess fat and you'll start seeing a drop in your weight. 

In the meantime, you may want to do a few things. Once a month, make sure to have someone take photos of you in front of a door; front, back and profile. Also take detailed measurements, including your neck, chest, abdomen, hips, upper arms, elbows, forearms, wrists, thighs, knees, calves and ankles.  This will help you to 'see' the metamorphosis that is about to unfold. Often, when the scale isn't moving the tape measure will show progress.

Hang in there!

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Barb H.
on 5/22/12 8:30 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I also revised from the band to RNY on January 25. I frankly don't remember what my loss was in the first week, but I know it was really slow. I've lost about 42 pounds at about 4 months out and sometimes feel like I'm not doing something right when I see dramatic numbers from others in the same amount of time. However, I let it go because it is unrealistic to compare myself to others' journeys. So I hope you can do the same and understand that you will lose, there is no way you can't.

Hang in there and I wish you a great journey!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 98 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views