O T Need some help with a recipe

mpjones
on 5/31/12 3:51 am
I'm pre-surgery but trying to get prepared for a new way of eating so I putting together a notebook of recipes that I'm getting from this site as well as other sites for weight loss surgery people. I have a recipe for 3 Bean Salad that I have been making for over 30 years and if I list it can the "veterans" here tell me if I can still use it after surgery? 

3 Bean Salad

2 (15 oz each) cans green beans, drained
1 (15 0z) can wax beans, drained
1 (15-16 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
( I use my own home canned beans -so I use 1 quart of green beans and and 1 pint of wax beans)
1 medium onion, sliced in half and thinly sliced
2/3 cup sugar-(I substituted an equal amount of artificial sweetener and didn't notice a difference in taste)
2/3 cup vinegar ( I use white)
1/3 cup oil ( I use canola)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp black pepper

In a bowl mix the sugar, vinegar,oil, salt. celery seed and pepper. Set aside. Put all the beans in a colander and rinse ( I don't use salt when canning so I skip this step). Drain well. Put beans in a large container with a cover. Add the sliced onion. Pour the liquid over the beans and gently mix well. Cover and refrigerate. Allow the beans to marinate at least 12 hours before serving. Stir occasionally. Keep refrigerated.

Serves 10 to 12 people.

I'm sorry I have long lost any nutritional information that may have come with this recipe. I do have to say this is one of the best tasting bean salads ever !! And I would HATE to have to stop using it, but do you think it's too high in the amount of sweetener or oil--would it make a person that had WLS "dump" if they did in fact dump?

Any comments welcomed. Thanks.
jazzycatz
on 5/31/12 4:01 am - Joppa, MD

Send me a few jars of those home canned beans and I will tell ya.    LOL

I am not quite 2 years out so keep that in mind but with the sugar substitute I don't see any issue with it.  With the vinegar and the raw onion it is not something you will be eating for quite a few months after surgery probably but that really depends on your post-op tolerances.

Kim H.
on 5/31/12 4:04 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I love bean salads. I got into them on a trip to Italy a few years ago and still eat them regularly. I will frequently have tuna on top of the salad for my protein. I think it will be great after surgery once you're allowed to eat soft foods. Just remember that you won't be able to eat very much so share it with friends/family. My portions were only 2 Tbs of veggies at each meal for the first 8 weeks. It that serves 10-12 it will likely spoil before your even get 1/4 of the way through it. Great for you to be so proactive in thinking about recipes for after surgery. Personally, I didn't really get back into cooking until around 4 months since I was so limited in the beginning as to what I could eat and it was such a tiny volume. Take a look at http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ for wls friendly recipes that focus on real food not crappy processed foods. Have fun!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/31/12 4:23 am
That sounds good for when you are off soft foods. Considering that you are using a 1/3 cup of oil over a salad that serves 10-12 folks, you wouldn't get a lot of oil. Maybe take it for a picnic or gathering where there will be lots of other people to help you eat it.
mpjones
on 5/31/12 5:17 am
Thanks everyone ! After 50 years of canning my own fruits and veggies I just can't do regular canned ones! The recipe does make alot but when I make it I have 2 neighbors who seem to "just happen" to come over and some of it always goes home with them-LOL. It will be good to remember once I'm done with the various stages of post-operation food plans I can look forward to having my delicious bean salad again--even if it's only a couple of forkfuls --
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/31/12 5:20 am - Baltimore, MD
Looks fine to me but good gracious it sounds SWEET! For some reason sweet and beans don't go together for me. That's why I could never get with the black bean brownie thing.
mpjones
on 5/31/12 5:26 am

It really isn't sweet but I would think you could cut down the amount of sugar without hurting the recipe any.You could probably increase the vinegar a bit too if you wanted atangier taste. Thanks Nik for looking at the recipe.

Cherokeesage
on 5/31/12 6:11 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I use less sugar substitute and apple cider vinegar when I combine the two in recipes.  The apple cider adds a hint of sweet to me. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?