20 mile vacation

Carrie W.
on 6/12/12 11:03 am - KY
I turned 33 last Thursday and to celebrate my birthday and my new body I took a mini vacation.  Thursday's big event was a 4 mile road race at the Superman Festival in Metropolis, IL.  That was tons of fun.  I reconnected with my high school english teacher on facebook and she ran with me.  It was totally cool. 

Friday I had a spa day with a mani, pedi, massage and facial. 

Saturday I went on a long, long, long trail ride with a local group for charity.  It wasn't what I expected and ended up being way more of a workout than I anticipated.  My poor horse wasn't ready for the steep and narrow!

Sunday I took off to Mammoth Cave.  I live like 2 hours away but I've never been because I was so heavy and so out of shape I didn't think I could do any of the tours and stairs.  I started Sunday with a 4.5 hour 4 mile tour.  It was the "strenuous" tour, 670 stairs and 4 100' + hill climbs.  I made it just fine, never even got out of breath though I did have to hurry to catch up after trying to take pics.  I went back Sunday night for another 2 mile tour.  This one was fairly easy.

I usually run on Sundays (long runs) but since I was too busy, I decided to run Monday morning.  So I was up at 5:30 and out on the really nice gravel bike trail for a 4 mile jog.  I was feeling pretty good and wanted to push farther but I don't run outside much and I was afraid of what I'd feel like when I got back.  I had plenty of time when I got back so I hiked for another 2 miles before going back to the b&b for breakfast and a shower.  After that I went on another 2 mile tour, this one with 440 stairs.  And I hiked another 2 miles after that...

From there I went to the Corvette Plant for a tour.  The tour itself was 1 mile and I literally parked a half mile away.  I ended up running most of that mile because I got lost and was late. 

I did another cave tour in Bowling Green but there wasn't much walking.  I was feeling really good until that point.  Walking down this steep hill to get to the tour made me realize that my calves were SORE!  I'm not used to going DOWN so much.  I felt great otherwise. 

So my 5 day vacation included more than 20 miles on my own two feet.  I'm not counting the 15 the horse packed me on, lol. 

I never would have imagined that I'd want to do this type of thing much less do it, feel great and do it all by myself. 

I'm a little depressed today over the whole "by myself" thing and my calves are still a bit sore but damnit I had fun!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

eeyoremom2
on 6/12/12 11:13 am - WI
RNY on 06/01/12
That ia an absolutley amamzing story..sounds like a lot of fun. I cant wait to be able to add things like this to my victory list.  You should feel very proud what an amazing accomplishment,

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

RPick67
on 6/12/12 11:52 am
VSG on 06/11/13
You go girl!!!!  Hope to have your kinda energy someday!!

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views