Hair Metamorphisis

deborah72
on 6/21/12 11:15 pm - Pell City, AL
Maybe is is vain-like of me but thought others might like to know how I haven't lost any of my hair.

When I knew I was going to have WLS I went and cut my hair up to my ears.  I had enough to that I was able to donate to local charity for kids wigs.  What I believe that helped my keep from losing my hair more than the normal amount was that I took all my vitamins religiously and made sure that I got in as much protein as possible.  I do consider myself lucky that I haven't lost the substantial amount that I hear some have.  Also, I have naturally curly hair ...the curls helps when you are wanting it to look full if you happen to lose a good bit.  

Here are some pictures that show how my hair has changed to a degree.  Granted with curly hair it is long or short either way always looks the same to me and has a mind of it's own...I call it now my Medusa hair....LOL.....I think I look better at this time with it being longer.  

This was taken on Halloween 2009

Taken March 2010 one month post op                Taken Dec 2010

Taken Sept 2011

Taken last week

Kim H.
on 6/22/12 12:20 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Pretty! You & your hair. I only lost a little hair, more like a heavy shedding, for a month and that was it. Guess we're luckier than some. I'm like you as far as the protein & vitamins. Also, I would regularly have an extra shake or add peanut butter (200-400 cals/day) if I felt weak, tired, shaky, or even hungry which I think kept me out of the full on starvation mode. Unfortunately, some people are also super compliant, doing everything by the book, and still lose their hair. I wonder what the actual proportion of patients who have noticeable hair loss is? Interesting because the MOST common comment I get from people who find out I had RNYGB is something like, "you had that surgery? But you didn't lose your hair!" I wonder if there are fewer people who have lost their hair but when someone does it just sticks with us more than anything else? I'll have to research that a bit. Anyway, I'm happy for you and you look lovely! :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
deborah72
on 6/22/12 12:58 am - Pell City, AL
Kim,

Whenever I have talked to people and they find out that I had WLS they say I don't look like I ever had a weight issue.  Most people and the media helps out with the WLS horror stories and that seems to stick out to others .  I can not tell you how many stories I heard about the complications and those that have died.  Same thing about hair...Wow you had surgery but you still have hair...everyone loses some it just varies and I also think to has to do with the genes you have. 

Thanks for the compliment too! 

fickleme
on 6/22/12 12:43 am - Bessemer City, NC
I'm soooo jealous... I love your natural curl... it looks so pretty... I use to have thick healthy hair... and now its paper thin and stringy :( I take my vitamins religiously and it is still thinning and breaking off at 14 months out... ugh!

My before pic shows my thick head full of hair... I miss it

My current pic shows how thin and unhealthy it is :(

I have side swooped bangs UNINTENTIONALLY.....they just break off :(

Owells... I'd rather have stringy hair than the 135lbs back that I've lost... but if you or anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them!
deborah72
on 6/22/12 12:51 am - Pell City, AL
I too have the side swoop thing too...but it doesnt bother me...that is the thinnest part of my hair.  I think I have seen people post that taking Botin...will help you our in regrowth...I am sure someone will post and correct me if I am wrong.  I thin you will find once you get into your norm that you will see a change and possible repairing to your hair.  Just keep taking vits and protien.  Even at 14months out your body is trying to find its norm again.  Good luck!
cajungirl
on 6/22/12 2:10 am
Are you using a flat iron on your hair a lot?  I do find my ends breaking from lots of use, time to trim them again.

Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner helped my hair thinning and I personally didn't lose a lot of hair.  It's not cheap but was well worth the money for me.  This is the one I used for thinning hair:

http://www.amazon.com/Nioxin-System-Cleanser-Scalp-Therapy/d p/B000TMM2PU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340381207&sr=8-4&keywor ds=shampoo+nioxin

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Dee.spunk
on 6/22/12 12:50 am - Sacramento, CA
Totally jealous! I'm 7 months out and my hair is still falling out. I never miss my vitamins and I get all my protien in, but alas, I am at the point that I won't even go out without a wig on. It's that thin. You are lucky you didn't loose hair. It looks wonderful!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Cherokeesage
on 6/22/12 1:19 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I was born with thin fine hair and over the years it has gotten thinner.  Since surgery it is even thinner.  I have to pull from back to front with a short cut to best hide the thinning.  Your hair is awesome.  I take vitamins, biotin and protein in hopes of growing at least some of post surgery loss back. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

jmjm55077
on 6/22/12 1:54 am - MN

WLS has affected each of us differently...Like you I had long hair...a lot of it! Since surgery I shed more than a long hair dog in spring...but still have hair although a lot thinner than before. Fortunately I keep it braided or up for the summertyme...but in the fall I'll have to decide to cut it or just get use to it been thinnner...

I too am spot on when taking vitamins...just doesn't seem to be enough!

jane   

Price S.
on 6/22/12 2:19 am - Mills River, NC
I have thin hair and did lose more than I wanted.  however, when it grew in, it has a curl!!! In 63 yrs, I have never had curly hair.  I love my new hair.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 287 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views