"Gone forever"?

artroxy blue
on 6/24/12 10:11 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm curious as to why people put 'xxxlbs. gone forever' in posts? We've all struggled to lose weight, and some have made and maintained goal. This tool is just that--a tool. It's not going to stop us from gaining weight back forever, but rather give us the opportunity to lose as much as possible and continue a healthier lifestyle (hopefully). Am I wrong in thinking this?

tiffreacarter
on 6/24/12 10:21 pm
RNY on 04/17/12 with
I used it in a post to mean that I intend to practice this healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life and never go back to the unhealthy person I was before. I meant it as a positive affirmation, embracing that it is my choice to continue using the gift of my tool.

artroxy blue
on 6/24/12 10:45 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Congratulations on your weight loss! It really is great. 

I've seen other posts where people come back here saying that they've regained xxxlbs., after losing a lot of their weight. I'm just curious if they thought it would just stay off? I know things happen in life so anyone may not be 100% compliant. I truly understand that, even though I haven't had surgery yet. 

I've seen other "gone forever" posts, and wondering if the honeymoon period is clouding their vision? 

My post was meant as an observation, not as a dig at you or anyone else. I'm just trying to understand. Believe me, I'm super-jazzed to have surgery and very hopeful of its positive changes. 
MultiMom
on 6/24/12 10:33 pm - NH
You aren't a Debbie Downer! You ARE realistic, it is absolutely up to you whether the pounds are gone forever or not. If you (or anyone) don't use the tool as intended then the weight could absolutely creep back on. 

I wrote MY thoughts on "the tool" and that can be accessed from the link in my signature.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

artroxy blue
on 6/24/12 10:47 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thank you! I appreciate your input, and I'll check out your post! 
Laura in Texas
on 6/24/12 10:37 pm
Yep. Way too many of us gain after WLS so "gone forever" is not something that is realistic. I know if I do not stay diligent the weight will creep back. I am hopeful I will stay at goal weight, but I never use that term.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

artroxy blue
on 6/24/12 10:51 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I think that's what concerns me the most. I never considered myself as obese (even though I am), so every time I'd gain a few pounds, I didn't give it much thought. However, that thinking got me to close to 300lbs. I just don't want to fall into that thought process again. 
Larry Wassmann
on 6/24/12 10:54 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I agree with you 100%. I have lost over 100 pounds 6 times in my life, over 200 one time. Had a tummy tuck which I paid for myself ($$$$$) and all those times those pounds were GONE FOREVER. This is just a tool and if you are not serious and use it to train yourself away from being a goody mouth and fast food freak you were, well do I have to say it? This is your daddy speaking so listen up kids.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

laura_vermont
on 6/24/12 11:16 pm
My story is similar to Daddy's.... he's giving great advice!  I've lost it before -- and found it again.  It could happen.  Knowing this is what keeps me coming back here!

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

cajungirl
on 6/24/12 11:00 pm

I don't say it and never will.   Maybe those that do say it are trying to convince themselves that WLS is the "magic fix", a motivator to them to stay in check.....whatever reason it concerns me when I read it.

After being on OH for over 8 years and seeing many struggle with regain, regain possbilities happen way to frequently to think it's gone forever.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics