"Gone forever"?

MrsLitch
on 6/25/12 3:21 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I have watched as others have commented on the gone forever posts negatively and thought why are they trying to burst his/her bubble. (btw I don't think that is what you are doing)

Some people motivate themselves by using positive affirmations. Gone forever could easily be one for many people. and technically speaking those specific pounds are gone forever even though you can gain other pounds back haha.

I will be one of the gone forever people because I will not allow myself to get back to this point let alone the point I was prior to surgery 3 weeks ago. I am a glass half full and people really do mean well thinker and because of that I have to tell myself they are gone forever to keep them gone.

Will I have bounce back gain? probably. I am well aware of that and prepared to not let it deter me or my glass half full thinking.

If everytime I lost weight I thought to myself becareful this can/will comback I would live miserably, in fear and so self concious I would have a difficult time enjoying life. And to be honest enjoying life is why I had this surgery.

I think we all need to know ourselves well enough to make the choice to think about it in a matter that works for us. I have even talked about this with my counselor and he agrees that for my personality and view on life that it is the healthiest way for me. Others may be similar.

Live and let live.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

artroxy blue
on 6/25/12 3:41 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
  Well said! 

I'm all for positive affirmations, if that helps someone get to a better version of themselves. We can see how hard this decision was to make, and I don't think anyone came to the decision of surgery lightly. I have reservations of labeling it as "gone forever", but if that works for others, more power to them. I'm not the motivation police--I just want people to have realistic expectations. 
Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/25/12 3:48 am - Baltimore, MD
 See, sometimes it is bubble bursting and sometimes it is more an "Ides of March" sort of thing.

By using the word "forever" you sort of set yourself up for a pass/fail situation. That's one of the unhealthy behaviors that probably led to most of us being overweight. All or nothing. Pass or fail. Good or bad.

I've seen it happen enough times to be able to write the script. A person says their pounds are gone forever and if they are, great! If not (and for most of us it is not truly forever. Most of us regain SOMETHING. Some worse than others) they feel like they made such a big deal out of the forever that they are reluctant to reach out for help because they are afraid they'll lose face.

Like I said, I don't label anything forever. Forever isn't affirmational for ME. (Your mileage may vary) Getting through today in tact is motivational and affirmational to me. Each day I live to make a new and better choice is affirmational. I think those of us that know the toxicity of the word forever want folks to feel the success that comes with simply surviving that one day. 

Just my two cents.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

hedrider
on 6/25/12 7:40 am - Midlothian, TX

"Gone Forever" doesn't really bother me all that much.  Good for them.  That's what I would like too.

I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned if I saw a rash of postings saying "150 pounds gone for 2 1/2 years then 128 pounds gone for a while".  ;)

Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 473 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 463 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 350 views