Roux

dintybinty
on 7/5/12 3:06 am
I am beginning my journey towards having surgery. I am 51 yrs old, 197lbs, 5'3 inches short. I am wanting the surgery for diabetes. I am hoping to get off my meds..or most of them being I have been diabetic for quite some time. I am not sure about which one to have. I was told the Lapband would not help me with my diabetes as the Roux would...and the sleeve either. But there are so many cons to the Roux...it makes me unsure...can someone please enlighten me a bit more.
stlfocus
on 7/5/12 4:00 am - IA
What "cons to Roux' are you talking about? 

I am almost 10 months out, have lost 100 lbs., am off all prescription meds, and am thrilled with my RNY.  No complications, no issues, and goal in 9 months.  It doesn't get much better than that.

I unstand RNY is the surgery of choice if you want to resolve diabetes, so it would appear to be the best surgery for your situation.  From everything I have read here and from the advice of my surgeon, the lapband was not a good choice.  My surgeon told me it takes a lot longer (if ever) to lose all the excess weight with the lapband, and at my age I certainly didn't want to wait that long.  And I don't read too much good about the band on this forum.

So you need to read everything you can get your hands on and talk directly with your surgeon.  He/she is the best source to offer you advice on which surgery to consider.  I was hellbent on the lapband until my surgeon told me it was not the best choice for me.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/5/12 4:21 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Well, if the zombie apocalypse happens and there are no more vitamin supplements, RNY survivors will have severe micronutrient problems. 

Also you will have to resort to natural remedies, black market opiates, or Tylenol scavanged from deserted pharmacies for your zombie-fighting-induced headaches. 

On the upside, you will be able to run faster and fight harder when you're trim and diabetes-free, so it evens out.

mskris8199
on 7/5/12 6:39 am
RNY on 03/06/12
YES!!!  WIll you be my new BFF?  lol 

I had never considered how my RNY might affect my plan for the ZA.  I guess I need to work that into my survival guide!
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/5/12 7:51 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Let's hope they're the walking dead, not the running dead.
mskris8199
on 7/6/12 2:47 pm
RNY on 03/06/12
 We can only hope!  Running doesn't really go with all the extra skin.
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

Kim S.
on 7/5/12 4:31 am - Helena, AL
The Roux-en-Y (RNY) is often an effective tool for resolving diabetes.  So is the Duodenal Switch (DS).  There are pros and cons to every weight loss surgery.  You have to be your own advocate, and you must research thoroughly to determine what is best for you and your long term goals.  Only you can determine if the risks associated with surgery outweigh the risks of life with diabetes.

Read everything you can on weight loss surgery for diabetes resolution.  Find the best doctors in your area that perform the surgeries you are researching and schedule consultations.  Ultimately you must decide what is best for your body.

There is tons of information on Obesity Help that can assist in your research.  If diabetes resolution is your primary goal, I'd recommend narrowing your research to the DS and the RNY.

Best wishes on your journey!

jmjm55077
on 7/5/12 4:51 am - MN

Seven months after RNY...I'm now complete off all diabetic meds...blood sugars under control, high blood pressure is now back to average, exercising daily and feeling fit most days.

I will be able to outrun the zombies so it's all good...but do read up...each surgery has plus and minuses depending on your lifestyle, expectations, issues and personality. You didn't list the cons you referred to but for me...it was a life saver and since the surgery I haven't looked back to the unhealthy me. Good luck!

jane   

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 4:54 am
What are the "cons" to the RNY that worry you? 

Some things I might think of that you might or might not know:

Dumping Syndrome. Approximately 3 out of 10 people who have RNY have dumping syndrome, a physiological reaction to undigested food being "dumped" into the intestines that makes your heart race, sweat, a feeling of unease with some folks also feeling nauseous, vomit, or diarrhea. This is controlled entirely by diet, ane as I mentioned, 7 out of 10 who get the surgery do not get this dumping syndrome.

NSAIDS: Those who have RNY should avoid NSAIDS for life. Some choose to have them anyway (like a baby aspirin a day for heart health, sometimes it's more important to keep the heart healthy and deal with an ulcer) if you rely on NSAIDS like motrin or aleve or aspirin, or a variety of other meds, you might find that RNY isn't for you.

not drinking with meals... this is something that some folks have issues with. Generally we dont' drink with meals and we don't drink for half an hour to an hour after a meal.

Frankly, I wouldn't ever recommend the LapBand to anyone.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/12 4:54 am
RNY and DS have the best statistc to help with diabetis. DS - even better than RNY.
Check DS board - or go to www.dsfacts.com

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics