Anyone with mental health issues successful w RNY?

Caidkin
on 7/13/12 1:37 pm - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
 Well aFter reading another post I've got myself alll freaked out.  I would post this in the mental health forum but it doesn't get much action over there.

Im reading over and over that people with pre op mental health issues (depression,anxiety etc) are miserable post op because of issues absorbing their medication.  Also onset depression caused by hormone shift from rapid weight loss and nutritional deficiencies.

So I'm wondering, is there anyone out there that had pre op mental health issues whom are successful post op?  I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and can say my med levels feel the same (cymbalta.). Now  freaking out (in true fashion as a person with a panic disorder would) that post op life could go downhill.

Also a side note I consulted my surgeon and psychiatrist before this surgery regarding this issue.  I was told.by both I had nothing to worry about.
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
poet_kelly
on 7/13/12 1:54 pm - OH
Oh, I got mental health issues!  I have major depression, PTSD and dissociative identity disorder.  And I would say I've been successful with my RNY, at least so far.  I'm a couple pounds below goal, my labs are good, I'm healthy, other than a herniated disc in my back and my mental health issues.

When I had my surgery, I was taking Effexor XR.  My surgeon and my psychiatrist thought it was OK to stay on that, even though RNY patients are often advised to switch to a non-extended release version of meds.  So I kept taking that and I think I was on it for about two years and doing OK.  Then my depression seemed to get worse, which has happened to me from time to time over the years before I ever had RNY, too.  But at that time I asked my psychiatrist to switch me to the non-extended release Effexor, which he did.  And that seemed to help a little bit.

For the last 18 months or so, though, my depression has been pretty bad.  I don't know what made it get worse at that point or why it hasn't gotten much better yet.  I have a couple theories.  My therapist that I'd seen for about six years retired and I've had a hard time finding a good therapist since then.  So maybe part of why I'm struggling now is that I'm not getting real effective therapy.  Also, my nephew who has some emotional and behavioral problems lived with me for a little while and when he left, that's when the depression initially got worse.  My therapist suggested that his leaving stirred up a lot of feelings for me.  And finally, I've been dealing with a very painful herniated disc in my back for a long time now and I've had nearly constant pain for the past year.  I would imagine most people would get depressed after being in constant pain for that long.

Note that none of those issues have anything to do with RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/13/12 2:00 pm - OH
I had depression and PTSD when I had my surgery 5 years ago.  (I still have both, BTW.)  I stopped taking the antidepressant I was on several months before surgery because it was time-release and I thought that with the weight loss I might not need it.  Wrong.  Bad idea.  I did not consider the depression that often comes after any surgery (and especially after WLS).  So I went on a non-timed release medication and I was fine once it kicked in.  I did not have any problem absorbing enough of a normal dose.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dave Chambers
on 7/13/12 3:02 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Every patient usually gets a psych evaluation prior to surgery.  I took anxiety meds and antidepressants for over 10 year prior to my RNY surgery.  Most antidepressants are absorbed fine post op.  Depression is a common by product of surgery for the first few weeks, so stay on meds or get them adjusted as needed.  I'm over 6 years post op and have maintained a 150 pound wt loss.  Go to some support meetings prior to surgery and post op on a monthly basis to help you through any issues you find difficult to deal with. In some cases, patients have some deeply rooted issues that drove them to seek solice in food.  If you think this may be an issue for you, please get professional counseling to help you post op. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dot T.
on 7/13/12 3:26 pm - Bartlesville, OK
 My meds appear to be working fine...
Sherry T.
on 7/13/12 11:02 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I suffer from depression and anxiety and take Wellbutrin.  I haven't had an issue if anything knowing I was getting control of my life and my weight has really put me on an upswing.  More hopeful and determined to get out of this mess I've made with my life.  I see it as a glass half full in more ways than one!   (((hugs)))) You can do it!    Sherry

tgrlnh
on 7/13/12 11:37 pm
RNY on 06/05/12
I have anxiety and depression issues! The hormones are a little crazy but I feel more myself and I'm only 5 weeks out. I agree with the last post, I feel more positive about my life now than before. Good Luck!

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

spotcat6
on 7/14/12 12:00 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 05/07/12
I am bi polar and other than the fact that i have to crush all my meds for now i am doing fine.

nfarris79
on 7/14/12 4:34 am - Germantown, MD
 i've had panic attacks at differing levels over the past decade and actually found they've been better postop! Part is due to having PRN klonopin, which I seemed to have no problem absorbing, and the HUGE part of improvement is due to doing the head work (boundaries, assertiveness, rational thinking)! I don't minimize the profound effect the newly-operated-on hormones do to your emotions, but mercifully, that doesn't usually last too long.
Sounds like you have a good MH team on board with your journey; don't worry, you'll do fine! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Caidkin
on 7/14/12 6:37 am - Canandaigua, NY
RNY on 07/02/12
Thanx everyone.  I'm actually doing great so far... I just read some posts last night that totally got me freaked out.  I've heard a lot about extended release not being absorbed correctly, but that's what I'm on... and so far so good.  I have a PRN xanax that I've had to take here and there since the surgery and it works great. 

I appreciate all the responses!!! nice to know I'm not alone
Just had my RNY on 7.2.12!!!!  WOOHOO!!!!!         
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 224 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics