Yet ANOTHER vitamin questions-for you gurus!

Jamielove21
on 7/17/12 4:58 am - Carmel, IN
I was told today that my last labs indicated I was low in "stored iron."  I've been looking around online, and can't really find a good explanation of this.  Maybe some of the things i've been noticing about myself are related to this....

I was told to take an additional 65 mg of "elemental" iron.  What is that? Can I get it at a health food store? 

Thanks! 

~Jamie 

SW/CW/GW
281/178
/135ish

hedrider
on 7/17/12 6:30 am - Midlothian, TX
 Each type of iron has an elemental equivalent.

Ferrous sulfate - 325 mg is equivalent to 65 mg elemental iron.

Ferrous fumerate - 325 mg is equivalent to 108 mg elemental iron.

Ferrous gluconate 325 mg is equivalent to 35 mg elemental iron.

Heme matches mg to mg so 12 mg is equivalent to 12 mg elemental iron.

Carbonyl is equivalent mg for mg as well. 

Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

poet_kelly
on 7/17/12 7:20 am - OH
Stored iron is ferritin.  I recommend taking carbonyl iron, because it's all elemental iron, it's absorbed well, and probably won't make you constipated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jamielove21
on 7/17/12 8:50 am - Carmel, IN
 Thank you very much! Any ideas where I can read more about this and educate myself a little more? 

~Jamie 

SW/CW/GW
281/178
/135ish

poet_kelly
on 7/17/12 9:02 am - OH
Look up iron at the Linus Pauling Institute for lots of good info: lpi.oregonstate.edu/ and then check out wlsvitagarten.com/.  I would say Andrea knows more about iron than anyone else I know.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics