Still loosing weight- but need to run.

thepromises
on 7/24/12 12:16 am
RNY on 01/03/12 with
Good morning everyone. I've been away from the site for a bit, but not for bad reasons... I've just been so busy! I'm totally loving the new me (over 120 lbs gone forever so far!!! But i still have about 100 to go...) but I've noticed a problem...

When I'm at the gym (at least 3 times a week) and I want to go faster then a walk on the treadmill... I kind of.... clap. While running... without my hands. if you know what I mean.

Let me just say it. My belly jumps and slaps and claps. And I hate it. Besides surgery (not yet... maybe not ever- i scar too badly.) is there anything I can do to prevent this? I've thought about "compression gear" but I don't know where to purchase it, or what even to look for. I can do a mile in about 12:30 on the eliptical (not jumping around) but I want to actually run... I want to see how I can really do, on a track, or even a treadmill. 

Ok, thanks everyone. Hope you're all having a great day! 

MEZ
on 7/24/12 12:20 am - Wilmington, NC
Tight running pants will give you great support! Definitely. With lots of spandex. I have the issue with my butt and thigh loose skin. Drives me crazy unless it's contained.  You can wear a long shirt, or loose shorts over top if you aren't comfortable with the way you look in these running "tights." I know I am not!

p.s. It's worth it to spend a bit more on a brand name with higher spandex content (Nike, Adidas, etc.) vs. the Danskin ones at Walmart.

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

Neen L.
on 7/24/12 12:23 am - Arlington, VA
Most of my extra skin ended up being in the abdomen so I feel your pain! Very uncomfortable, and it was part of the reason I did not run for a long time.

Compression garments are a lifesaver! Just type "women's compression shirt" into an Amazon search and you'll find a lot of them. Everyone likes them to fit differently, so you're better off trying a few less expensive brands first to see what suits you. Sometimes you can find them at places like Dick's Sporting Goods or Modell's, but they're usually more expensive. You may also find them with sports bras at places like Target or Kohl's. Macy's also has a fairly decent selection of them with their women's athletic gear.

The ones with a built in sports bra are my favorites. Get one tighter than you think you will need because it will stretch out a little bit.

I hope this helps and that you can enjoy learning to run as much as I have. It is exercise you can do just about anywhere and I love that. Good luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

paranoidmother21
on 7/24/12 12:25 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Absolutely everything MEZ says! It made a huge difference for me until I was able to get reconstruction!

There is a company called Lucy that specializes in running/yoga/workout gear that I love. It is definitely pricey, but they have frequent sales where even everything on the sale rack is 25% off, and all of the saleswomen are active and are very helpful in figuring out which product will do what you want... as well as telling you when the one you want will go on sale.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

hedrider
on 7/24/12 12:27 am - Midlothian, TX
 Invest in some nice running gear, it makes all the difference in the world.  I wear a snug workout top with a built in shelf bra, and I wear a sports bra under it.  I usually wear capri workout pants or running shorts, but my tummy doesn't hang down.  I have loose skin but it is centralized and contained in the shirt.

If you still have quite a bit to lose, try thrift stores to find bigger brand name items, or just go with the department store brands.  You will be needing new ones well before they break down on you.  :)
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Michelle V.
on 7/24/12 12:35 am - Livonia, MI
Old Navy has some - I don't know how good their compression gear is though.

macjuicy
on 7/24/12 12:40 am - FL
Treadmill is super bad for your knees esp being 100 overweight def consider using the Eliptical better burn and much better on the joints, takes some getting use to but take it slow and work your way up.

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Neen L.
on 7/24/12 1:14 am - Arlington, VA
Mac I agree with you that the elliptical is a great choice for those who have had knee injuries or pain in the past, but it's a misnomer that treadmills are bad for your knees.

What's bad for your knees is running with an unnatural stride. That's why (if it's affordable), it's a good idea to go to a running store and have them fit you for a shoe and check your stride. Heel strikers are the most prone to MCL injuries, but it's not guaranteed that you'll have any problems.

Running on asphalt can cause soreness, but if you're wearing decent shoes and paying attention to your posture and stride you can minimize the impact on your body.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

thepromises
on 7/24/12 1:17 am, edited 7/24/12 1:17 am
RNY on 01/03/12 with
 I guess i should be ok then... I have a really weird stride - always have. I pretty much go toe first/stay on my toes. 

And yeah, I won't go for miles while i'm still overweight, but I do want to do a little bit of running. I do enjoy doing the eliptical,  but I want to shuffle it up a little.  Also- the track at the school that I work at is cushioned, and super advanced. So it will be a lot less soreness compared to asphalt. I'd also go to a trail place near my house, for some hiking/jogging with some friends. Would love to be able to do that. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/24/12 1:32 am

For my thighs, I love Wal Marts "Sweet Nothing" capri leggings (about $12). They'd help keep your midsection in place, too. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get good support.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics