New Girl

Chirs H.
on 7/27/12 3:08 am - Wichita Falls, TX
Hello all!  I am fairly new to your forum and have found it to be very informative and motivating!  I have been lurking around for the past few weeks but have posted a few times.  I thought I would share my story...

I am a 51 year old woman and I have never had a serious weight problem until the last year - I went from 125 to 225 in 18 months. 

I have a rare, chronic lung disease called BOOP and have been taking steroids (Prednisone) since November 2011 hoping for a cure.  The disease leaves me very tired and weak feeling most of the time.  I am unable to sustain any level of physical activity without getting pneumonia.  Needless to say the combination of steroids & inactivity has contributed greatly to my weight gain.  I also have been making very poor food choices.

I am also a recovering alcoholic, 8 years sober, and I think I have developed a food addiction during this time period as well.  I find myself not eating much during the day, but staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching TV or reading and constantly snacking - I then find myself trying to hide the evidence! 

Having not had a weight problem before, I am finding the extra weight very hard to deal with.  I do not like to go out in public - friends I run into do not even recognize me...I even avoid family gatherings when at all possible.  I am very comfortable isolating myself in my own home.

I did not think I would ever be considering WLS.  But, I learned in April 2011 that I have acid reflux and  aspirating which is preventing my lungs from responding to the steroid treatment.  I had a nissen fundoplication in 1998 to correct this problem, but after an endoscopy I learned that it has come undone.  

After consulting with 2 surgeons, I learned that I have motility issues with my esophagus and the only way they can help me is with RNY.  

I believe all things happen for a reason and have been able to make some peace with the new me...if I had not gained the 100 pounds, I would not qualify for WLS and would not be able to address the acid reflux problem and ultimately have healthier lungs.  

I am so looking forward to being healthy!  My family is very active outdoors and I have been unable to participate in any of their activities.  I have an 18 month grandson who doesn't understand that Gaga is tired and can't chase him in circles any more...

I have completed all the prerequisites for my surgery, but learned yesterday my insurance company denied my request.  I am working with the WLS clinic staff to file my appeal.  We both expected the denial because I do not meet their normal guidelines, but they are confident that I will be approved once the appeal has been submitted.  

I know happier days are ahead!

Thanks for letting me share - and I look forward to reading more of your stories and sharing in your triumphs!

Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

avivaps
on 7/27/12 4:05 am
RNY on 02/28/12
 Good luck on your journey.

Andrea

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Chirs H.
on 7/27/12 5:04 am - Wichita Falls, TX
Thank you.