How do deal with negativity?

UBet2012
on 7/27/12 1:59 pm - IL
RNY on 09/17/12
I had my routine exam with my PCP the other day. I told him I was going to go through with the RNY surgery. He is totally against this surgery. He only had a patient or two, but he said it was nothing but problems. He checked my labs, all of them had a big improvements. Blood sugars were normal, good cholesterol, and bad cholesterol were good and bp was excellent. I contribute this to all of prep work I have been doing with my dietitian. He thinks I can continue this on my own. I know I can always fall back into my old ways if I don't put a lid on it.  I told him my goal was to get off ALL of my medications with the exception of a multi vitamin and aspirin a day (as my surgeon suggests). His solution is to up my metformin because it might increase weight loss.  I am very confident with my surgeon, and am very optimistic that everything will turn out fine. How do I deal with this negativity? Should I reconsider? I am considering a new PCP.  I have been so excited and try to hold a positive attitude. I told him I was going to become his first success story. When he left he apologized for being negative.  I have not told many people about the surgery and don't  intend too.
poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 2:04 pm - OH
I would consider a new PCP, but I would also consider educating him (or attempting to).  Perhaps he's not aware of the statistics that show about 95% of people that lose weight by dieting gain it all back within a couple of years.  Perhaps he thinks you will be one of the 5% that can do it, but the odds are against you.  If he thinks most RNY patients have problems after surgery, perhaps he needs to see some statistics showing how rare various complications are.

I just wanted to mention, after surgery, you'll need more than a multivitamin a day.  You'll need two multivitamins, 1500 - 2000 mg calcium citrate, B12, iron, probable D3, and maybe other supplements.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/12 2:09 pm - WA
No offense to him, but maybe you should consider switching your pcp if he doesn't have much experience.

I'm new to all of this, but I know what it's like to be with a doctor that doesn't quite "get you" or your medical history. 

That said, I have never had a long term pcp like I've known some other people to have. So I would be able to switch no problem because I don't have emotional ties to any of them. 

If you know that this is the route you are taking then it seems to me it would be in your best interest to line yourself up with a caretaker that knows what to expect AND can support you. 
GraceGirl
on 7/27/12 2:20 pm
Well that stinks!!! My PCP is so happy for me she was on board from the first discussions we had. Its important to have a PCP that you can count on to be knowledgeable with RNY, after all they will be caring for you after your surgery. I'd switch if your PCP does not support you.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

juleskar
on 7/27/12 2:44 pm
I think your PCP needs some education re:WLS.
My PCP was really helpful with all the pre-op and post-op issues. She knew that I had to complete the 6 month Dr supervised diet and I was able to take care of those and other issues before me seeing the bariatric surgeon.
In the end, it's your body and your decision.
UBet2012
on 7/27/12 3:09 pm - IL
RNY on 09/17/12
Part of me wants to say goodbye, but part of me wants to prove him wrong! I really have a hard time putting my trust into someone who does not support me. I think I need  to start shopping for a new PCP.
Lady Lithia
on 7/27/12 4:36 pm
I don't know what it is like to have a PCP against WLS. (have heard a LOT of stories like yours here though). My PCP's wife and three [or was it five?] other family members had WLS from my surgeon. My PCP is exceptionally supportive. He orders all the labs I ask him to order, he's very understanding of my specific needs. I don't think I could have done it without him over the years. I've been with this PCP since 2004, and his PA has been taking care of my female issues ever since. Their support has been invaluable.

If my PCP moved (he's my age, too young to retire) I'd probably continue with another doctor at his practice, even if I didn't much care for them, because of how accessible their office is (1/4 mile down the road from my house). But if your PCP has nothing compelling (like being 1/4 mile away instead of the next-closest doctor 30 miles away), then I'd ditch him. You need a lot of suppport beyond what your surgeon will be able to give you.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 11:41 pm - OH
You don't have to decide right away.  You can always start looking for a new PCP and see what other options are available to you.  You can also talk to your current PCP about your concerns if you feel comfortable doing that.  Just tell him out right that you find it hard to put your trust in him if he won't support you.  See what he says.

And if you want to prove him wrong, well, you can always send him a letter along with a photo after you've lost 100 pounds and let him know how wonderfully you're doing!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bliss1203
on 7/27/12 3:26 pm - souderton, PA
 Greetings!
I had a PCP who was very anti WLS.  I finally switched and even before saying anything she told me she wanted me to go to a information meeting.  I do not regret switching, she has been wOnderful through out the whole process!
MichelleNC
on 7/27/12 11:40 pm
 Please switch Drs to one that supports your decision. I loved my prior PCP but she was so against RNY. I found a new Dr from my surgeon she is awesome and is aware of the complications. But more important she will have some sympathy if and when I come into her crying or upset about a problem if I have one from surgery. I wouldn't feel comfortable telling a Dr who was against it that I am having issues. He might be like I told you so LOL.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Most Active
Recent Topics