RNY twice?

Hollie313
on 8/5/12 1:37 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I was at my brother's house yesterday and his MIL was there.  She had open RNY way
back in the 90's.  She was asking me about my surgery....where I had it done, was I
drinking protein shakes, etc.  Then she told me she is strongly considering having hers
done again (she gained back most of her weight). 

Is this possible?  For some reason, I thought RNY was a one shot deal.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/5/12 1:40 am - Baltimore, MD
I've heard of it although it was in cases where the original RNY failed (not patient non-compliance). A lady at my practice had a surgery done under another surgeon who made her pouch way too large and didn't bypass enough intestines so the surgeon went back and made her pouch smaller and did a larger bypass. She seems to be doing ok now.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Lady Lithia
on 8/5/12 2:45 am
My surgeon said that when they started doing RNY, they merely sewed or stapled a pouch out of the top of the stomach, and one of the common methods of mechanical failure was when the staple line would fail and the old stomach would come back into use, and sort of reform itself back to a normal stomach, and that would  pretty much nullify the surgery.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

cajungirl
on 8/5/12 4:39 am
This is one of the very common reasons I've seen those further out revise.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

artroxy blue
on 8/5/12 1:44 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Maybe she's thinking of doing a DS?
Carmen C.
on 8/5/12 2:37 am
RNY on 08/08/12
I have heard this also.. I am doing my RNY for the first time.. and it scares me to know many people are redoing their RNY- etc.. This is it for me.. This is my one shot to loose the weight and build new habits to not regain the weight.

Well I hope "MIL" will find the solution she is looking for -understand it's hard when you regain the weight after a surgery.

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

flyingwoman
on 8/5/12 4:34 am
There is also a procedure where they tighten the stoma, narrowing the exit from the pouch. maybe she means that.
cajungirl
on 8/5/12 4:38 am
Yes you can revise a RNY to a RNY.  Usually due to complications.  Back in the 90s most surgeons did not transect the pouch from the remnant stomach which could potentially cause food to go from the pouch to the remnant.  I've also seen those that had this happen see their stoma size get much bigger where food goes through quicker making them hungry quicker.

A RNY to RNY revision would be a surgeon making the pouch smaller, possibly transecting the pouch from the remnant (if it wasn't done originally and tightening up the stoma and potentially increasing the length of the bypass which would cause some malabsorption AND possibly increase the vitamin deficiencies.  IF this is what she is considering and a surgeon takes her on she needs to be VERY sure the surgeon is an experienced revision surgeon....the likelihood of complications in any revision is greater than a virgin weight loss surgery.

IMO she needs to research all WLS options before she even considers a revision and once she decides what surgery she wants see an experienced surgeon that does revisions of the type she's interested in revising to.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Lady Lithia
on 8/5/12 4:40 am
It could be that her surgery was prior to the time when surgeons started to actually detach the pouch from the old stomach and so she might have had a mechanical staple line failure eliminating restriction... that could be what happened.

But some times there is a lot of regain, and some people look to new surgery as a way to fix something but often there are those who look to a surgical cure to an issue that can't be cured with surgery. It's a fine line. I'm regaining, but I am not blaming my surgery, and I'm not blaming myself. I think that something else is at play. Since I don't experience hunger, all food that enters my mouth is strictly down to a choice, not for raging hunger. I also don't eat until I'm full, I eat measured doses, and sometimes I give it up if I'm having a small pouch day.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/12 5:39 am - OH
If she gained back that much weight, another surgery may not help her since clearly she did not continue to eat properly.  If we don't change our eating habits we can regain weight after ANY form of WLS (including the extreme DS).

Yes, people can have the RNY revised, but -- depending on exactly what has to be done -- it is a difficult and complicated surgery and many surgeons are not experienced enough to do it.  As others have said, any kind of revision is more difficult and carries a significantly higher risk of complications than the original RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views