Multi vitamin help....Kelly??

SuzysJourney72
on 8/10/12 7:26 am - Wilmington, NC
I currently take Centrum Silver Chewables as a multi.  I have become very sensitive to taste/texture since my surgery.  Every time I have to chew this multi I shudder because I get nauseous from it.  Do you know another that I can try that may have a better taste?  Do you think I can get away without chewables at this point? (almost 6 weeks out)  I am remaining compliant....but the nausea is getting to me!!  Help!!

Dave Chambers
on 8/10/12 7:33 am - Mira Loma, CA
If you can swallow pills, and chewables make you feel ill, I'd do the pills.  The only real issue I had was the large size of the calcium citrate tablets. I get the calcium citrate capsules from vitalady.com , they're smooth and much easier to swallow.  I took script pills in the hospital the night of surgery.  I opted for liquid vitamins for about 3 years post op. But as time went on, I found myself forgetting my vitamins more than one time a week--keeping them in the fridge after opening kept them from view, and I'd forget to take them.  I take Twin Labs Daily Two Caps at this time, 6 of the 50K IU dry D3, 600mcg vitamin K (helps a lot with bruising), and my calcium citrate.  I'd suggest you try 2-3 of the 50K IU dry D3 per week to start with--low D labs are quite common with post ops. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

SuzysJourney72
on 8/10/12 7:47 am - Wilmington, NC
Thank you Dave.  I have been ok with the Bariatric Advantage calcium chewy bites, it's just the Multi that is chalky and the taste makes me queasy.  I take nexium in pill form every day so I know I can swallow pills...was just unsure if I could with vites cause they are pretty large.

poet_kelly
on 8/10/12 7:44 am - OH
On August 10, 2012 at 7:26 AM Pacific Time, SuzysJourney72 wrote:
I currently take Centrum Silver Chewables as a multi.  I have become very sensitive to taste/texture since my surgery.  Every time I have to chew this multi I shudder because I get nauseous from it.  Do you know another that I can try that may have a better taste?  Do you think I can get away without chewables at this point? (almost 6 weeks out)  I am remaining compliant....but the nausea is getting to me!!  Help!!
Well, there is no way for me to know what you might think tastes better.  You could contact Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate for samples of their chewables to see if you like them.

But yeah, you can switch to vitamins that you swallow, unless you have problems swallowing pills for some reason.  The ASMBS says it's fine to switch as soon as you can tolerate swallowing pills.

Chewable multis made me nauseous, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SuzysJourney72
on 8/10/12 7:50 am - Wilmington, NC
ok thanks!  I didn't realize I could get samples of vitamins to try.  I just really can't afford to buy full bottles in trial an error until I find one that doesn't turn my stomach.  I am able to swallow pills so I will see if I can get the Centrum ones first since they are the less expensive route!

ps.  How is your cat??

poet_kelly
on 8/10/12 7:55 am - OH
Most stores have a generic brand that is basically the same as Centrum (you can compare the labels) that will be even cheaper.

My cat seems OK today.  I moved the printer she likes to sleep on to the middle of my desk (which would be inconvenient if I ever did any work at that desk but I mostly sit on the couch with my laptop) so if she falls off it, she won't have far to fall.  She'll land on the desk instead of falling all the way to the floor.  And she hasn't peed on my couch today, so that's good.  Although my couch still smells a little, even though I thought I cleaned it really good.  So I will be scrubbing it with something else today, as soon as I figure out what.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SuzysJourney72
on 8/10/12 8:13 am - Wilmington, NC
I'm glad she seems better...I know you were worried about her.

I know u like to use natural meathods when possible.  You can try this to remove the smell.  It should work! Mix 3 parts water with one part vinegar and saturate the spot. Dry thoroughly by blotting, then air dry. Once dry, sprinkle the area with Baking Soda. Next mix ¾ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with one tsp. dish detergent and sprinkle over the Baking Soda.

poet_kelly
on 8/10/12 8:29 am - OH
I was thinking of trying vinegar and water.  It usually works well on my smelly carpet.  Thanks!

BWB
on 8/10/12 8:22 am
 I asked my nutritionist yesterday about Centrum Silver and she said that it doesn't have enough of what we need.  
Generics are fine: Centrum Chewables, CVs Daily Multiple for women, There are others but I don't have my list with me.

poet_kelly
on 8/10/12 8:31 am - OH
What does she think Centrum silver does not have enough of?  It is almost identical to regular Centrum.  Centrum Silver chewables have no iron and they have no vitamin K.  But most of us need to take more iron than we would get in a multi anyway, so the only real issue (in my mind) is the K.  Regular Centrum chewables, on the other hand, have iron and K but have no selenium.  Otherwise, they are pretty much the same as far as I can see from the labels.

Most Active
Recent Topics