tutugirlie
on 8/12/12 10:41 am - CA
Hi there, I am new and  was wondering how long before going back to work.  My doc says they take you out for 4 weeks but you are usually back in 2.  So I have planned to take 2 1/2 weeks of vacation time. I have a desk job.

My surgery is in two weeks 8/28.  They will also be doing a hernia repair.

Thanks
brenlee1965
on 8/12/12 10:46 am - New Berlin, NY
We are surgery buddies.....I have surgery that day too. Seems people are all different for the recovery time. I saw some on here that went back after a week and others took 4-6 weeks. They are repairing a hernia and taking my gallbladder at the same time. Good luck on your surgery and we will have to keep in touch.

Bren                
Dave Chambers
on 8/12/12 10:50 am - Mira Loma, CA
From listening to 100's of post ops over the past 6 years at support group meeting--I'd opt for the longer time frame. My surgeon allows 60 days off work for RNY surgery.  The vast majority of his patients take almost all of those 60 days. You have to learn how to get in enough water daily, get used protein shakes, find foods that agree with your, learn to deal with fatigue, take daily supplements, etc.  Some patients have "buyer's remorse" for the first 4-6 weeks, while they learn to cope with post op life adjustments.  Yes a desk job is easier to return to post op, but you still may not feel well enough to perform your job satisfactorily to your boss.  Hernia repair is another factor that may complicate your return to work. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

TamaraL
on 8/12/12 10:50 am
i had surgery on a friday and then was out 2 work weeks.  2 weeks is typical unless you have a hard job like a nurse or work in a industry where you have to lift or tug/pull.

Tamara

MissK123456789
on 8/12/12 10:54 am - PA
I am twelve days out from surgery.  Mine was 7/31.  While I've had a few bad days, yesterday being one of them, I'm pretty well off the pain meds.  I, too, have a desk job so I'm planning on returning 8/16. 

I find I can't do too much.  Walking long distances takes it out of me and I haven't gotten clearance to begin regular exercise yet. 

I suppose it will come down to how you handle your surgery.  I will say, I was amazed at how smoothly it all went.  You will have post surgical pain but if you follow directions, you should recover quickly!

Good luck to you both!

Karen
gtayl006
on 8/12/12 11:24 am
As everyone else has said each person is soooo different. I have a desk job, also. I went back in a week in 3 days. I learned quickly that full days was hard because of exhaustion. I decided to go to 1/2 days. That was easier but I so wished I was at home. At 3 weeks I got laid off from my job, and am now off and I have to say it has been the best thing for my recovery. If you can take 4-6 weeks I think that would be best. You may not think you need that time, but the more recovery time the better.

I also happen to be one of those people who is struggling to get in the fluids and protein so this extra time is giving me the ability to concentrate on this. It is amazing how before surgery my life revolved around food, and it still does but in a totally different way.

Good Luck and Congratulations on your surgery!!!! I wish you life long success!!!

MrsLitch
on 8/12/12 11:36 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
My doc says 7-10 days and won't give you a note longer than 3 weeks. I took 7 days and wish I had enough time to take a full 2 weeks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Erika P.
on 8/12/12 11:42 am - Birch Run, MI
 I would take the maximum you can. I took 9 weeks...and actually I go back tmrw :/

tutugirlie
on 8/15/12 8:49 pm - CA
Thanks  so much for all of your input.  I feel ok to take the 2 1/2 weeks as I do not want to use up all my sick and vacation time just yet :)
Most Active
Recent Topics