Advice on jitters before surgery please

uscfan05
on 8/14/12 9:02 am
RNY on 08/20/12
My surgery is next Monday and I’m freaking out. I’ve never had a major surgery, shoot, never even had kids…yet. So I’m scared. Not sure what to expect since everyone is so different in their experiences. I’m scared since this is such a big life alteration. I want the surgery, I want to be healthy and to have energy and all but I’m just so scared. This has even had me re-thinking getting the surgery. I know this is normal since I read this forum religiously but can anyone tell me about how they coped with the jitters before their surgery?     

poet_kelly
on 8/14/12 9:16 am - OH
Really, I was more excited than nervous.  Try to focus on why you want surgery and all the good things that will come as you lose weight.  Chances are you won't feel too good for a few days at least, but that's just a few days.  You can get through that.  And your surgeon will help you with meds for pain and nausea, if you have nausea, and you'll get through it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

uscfan05
on 8/14/12 9:18 am
RNY on 08/20/12
Thanks Kelly!  Yeah, I have been so excited this whole journey up until the past few days and it's horrible.  I know I want this but my brain is fighting with me. 

iapples
on 8/14/12 9:29 am - AZ
RNY on 02/28/12
I've had several joint surgeries including two knee replacements.  The Bypass was a piece of cake compared to them.  I was in the hospital for 2 nights but felt I could have gone home the following morning. 
To put it into perspective think of your new life as a dream vacation and the surgery as the lousy airplane trip to get there!

brenlee1965
on 8/14/12 9:32 am - New Berlin, NY
I know what you mean.....My surgery is Aug 28th. I have had surgeries in the past, so that part of this is no big deal, to me. You won't feel anything...they seem to place the anesthesia stuff in your IV. You'll just feel tired. This is a BIG life altering surgery and that's more than awesome! I jus****ched the actual surgery on You tube and also the one for the removal of the gallbladder. I know sounds crazy, but that helped me to really wrap my head around it. I am more worried about having to heave this heavy body up and off the bed, so I can walk. I expect the pain and as long as they give me drugs to deal with that, I figure it's a few days of feeling like crap so I can live a few more years and be healthier in the long run. I wish you the very best! Look at the good things and focus on getting your stuff together for the first few weeks instead of the surgery.
 Bren                
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/12 10:22 am
Brenlee, Do you have a recliner?  If you do that could be your saving grace.  I could not sleep in bed for weeks so I tried my recliner and was thankful I had it.  Yes, it is hard to get out of bed let alone with your abdomen feeling like it did a 1000 sit-ups.  That's what the surgery felt like to me, I was so sore.  but I also had my gallbladder out at the same time so I was sore everywhere.  
I am so excited for you.  I know this has been a long time coming for you.  I know you just want to get this behind you.  I never had surgery in my life, so I feel like you have the advantage of knowing at least the procedure.  I too watched the surgery on you tube and it didn't bother me, helped me see what the heck was going to go on!  Take Care,   Jane

macjuicy
on 8/14/12 2:33 am, edited 8/14/12 2:33 am - FL
i was scared also its normal, just know that its safe and your going to wake up a new person with a new lease on life.... the surgery is the easiest part of the journey so pace yourself!

Good luck and Gods Speed

PS eat something super duper delicious and big this weekend lol

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

wendydettmer
on 8/14/12 9:33 am - Rochester, NY
i had had a few surgeries, but i had never been under general before. i was excited but VERY nervous. i had a serious fear of not waking up. but i did, and everything was fine.

what i did to prepare probably wouldn't work for the vast majority of people. but i made a healing sachet at my groups full moon ritual and carry a tailsman with me.

pretty much i put my faith in a higher power.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

littleskie
on 8/14/12 9:41 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I did everything I could to keep my mind busy so that I didn't think about it. I felt that I had been thru all the doubts during my research and my pre-op testing.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Amelia L.
on 8/14/12 10:14 am
RNY on 08/20/12
My surgery is Monday also.  I'm having moments of OMG, what am I doing? to moments of OMG, what took me so long to do this.  We will be fine.  This is such an opportunity for a new way of life.  I'm focusing on the positive things and praying God will take care of the negatives.  Good luck to you and blessings.

Most Active
Recent Topics