OT - Graduate School... at 54... am I too old? Can I do this... SKEEEEEEEERED!

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 8/20/12 1:52 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
My Grandmother went to Chiropractic college when she was 60 and graduated at the top of her class !!!
She pass at 102, I'm 58....But  I don't have that much interest in anything

If it has always been a dream , you HAVE TO do it

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Jen V.
on 8/20/12 2:08 pm - Waterford Township, MI
RNY on 06/29/12
 My daughter's grandmother on her father's side was a music teacher for 30 years. Then she decided she wanted to be a doctor at the age of 50. She wen to med school, and now she is a doctor! She did wonderful in her "old age." If she can do med school, you can go back to school too. If you can navigate OH, you will do fine with the tech part of your classes.

nfarris79
on 8/20/12 2:10 pm - Germantown, MD
 You are NOT too old to start anew!! In my grad program, very few were straight out of undergrad - most were doing counseling as a second career or took a few years off for life before going back to grad. ( I can distinctly remember a couple girls who were much younger than the rest and thinking that they would probably just continue on for their PhD or EdD because they were not mature enough to go straight into work as therapists. Sad but true.) And I was in a CACREP dual-diploma program, so it wasn't for the faint of heart! The supervised stuff may seem daunting when you just look at the hours, but think of yourself on a train track and don't look too far down the way, just keep your eyes straight ahead. You can do it!!!! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Lizzie S.
on 8/20/12 2:13 pm
It's definitely a lot of hard work but you had the discipline to succeed at RNY, and I think you have what it takes for graduate school.   The only thiing you stand to regret is not doing it, I've never heard of anyone regretting testing themselves to the max and and succeeding  :)  Best to you on your journey!
Lizzie S

ChristineB
on 8/20/12 2:19 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
My oldest sister went to a local Jr college after her 9 children were all in school, got her degree there and then went on for her bachelor's degree in education. She taught for 20+ years and retired.

I say go for it!

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/20/12 2:33 pm - OH
I went back to grad school (for a third time, no less!) ot get my Master's in Counseling when I was 42.  Now, I am working on a dissertation for my PhD in Psychology (and I turn 50 in a week).  So, yes, I have no doubt that you can do this! 

I will, however, be paying off my student loans until (and maybe even after) I retire...    ... so be sure to consider that aspect.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chatterpam
on 8/20/12 2:47 pm - PA
Thanks so much to all of you! I really appreciate the advice and words of wisdom. I am pretty sure I can do this... but it is kinda scary! I will let you know (just every now and then) how things are going.

I can't tell you how much it meant to see all of these responses.

I love you guys (and gals)

GirlyQ
on 8/20/12 5:18 pm - ID
RNY on 07/30/12
 Like the others said, you can definitely do it! I am 37 and will finish up my Masters next year.  (I start Fall semester next week too  ) I am one of the youngest in most of my courses so don't let your age make you nervous.  You school will probably have some sort of orientation of short course to introduce to whatever online platform you use and your professors will be a great resource as well.  I'm sure you will also "meet" some other students who are just as nervous as you and you can lean on each other for help.  

*knock on wood* but I actually like the graduate courses much better than most of my undergrad courses.

Good luck!

Lady Lithia
on 8/20/12 5:34 pm
If it is your dream.... you should chase it

Worst case scenario... you can't do it. You'll never know if you never try, and you definately can't do it if you DON'T do it.

your age has little to do with it.

I remember one of my teachers in college talking about how much time it takes to become a doctor. One of the students exclaimed over the amount of time in school, to which the teacher responded, "Did you think those years won't pass by if you are NOT in school?" and he pointed out that if you want it, what does the time matter. Spend four years of your life to spend the REST of your life doing what you want to do. Or don't spend four years, and don't do what you want to do

I have faith in you that you CAN Do it.

I always think of a woman *****cently died in France, she was 120 years old. I have to wonder what choices she might have made at the age of 54 if she knew she had 66 years left to live!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Scaura
on 8/20/12 6:23 pm - Fort Collins, CO
 Well, I was not in my 50s, but in my mid-30s when I decided to get my Master's.  Now that is finished, I will be starting my Doctorate program in January.  It is never too late to do what you love!

Laura
HW: 311  SW:264 (size 24)  CW: 174 (size 14)  Surgeon's Goal: 176 My GW: 149
Weight Loss Month 1: 20 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 2: 17 pounds!
Weight Loss Month 3: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 4: 10 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 5: 12 pounds!  Weight Loss Month 6: 6 pounds!

Weight Loss Month 7: 6 pounds!   Weight Loss Month 8:

25 pound to my goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics