Want to start jogging... where do I begin? C25K? Or??

volky64
on 8/21/12 11:16 am
hey gang.
so i've decided that I want to start running/jogging.  what do you recommend for a TOTAL beginner??  it's been a really long time since i've run. ever.  so i'm totally breaking out of the comfort zone.  i do zumba and walk regularly, but jogging is a new frontier...  any advice would be great!!
and paul, def looking for your input!
Neen L.
on 8/21/12 11:43 am - Arlington, VA
C25k is great!

I could never ever run, even when I was not terribly overweight. But my gym membership was expensive and I figured that running was free exercise...

I was really skeptical about trying c25k because I thought surely 9 weeks was not enough to go from nothing to a 5k. Sure enough, right after I finished the program I ran AIDS Walk Washington.

The program ramps up slowly and has some wiggle room for extra time if needed. This is the schedule I used: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good luck!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Kay L.
on 8/21/12 12:38 pm - N., AL
I too am doing the C25K, and I'm 55!! I'm only a couple weeks in and I got bronchitis for a week of that and had to skip it. But I highly recommend it. If I can do it, anyone can (barring medical restrictions).
Bebhihn
on 8/21/12 1:08 pm - IA
If you have a smart phone there are several different c25k apps that will take you through the process.  My husband has done it and loves it!
Just When The Caterpillar Thought The World Was Over, She Became A Butterfly. 

--Proverb

Kim S.
on 8/21/12 1:31 pm - Helena, AL
I literally put on my running shoes and my iPod and did it.  The path where I run is 4 miles.  I'd set small goals, like run to the next tunnel, and wal****il I get to "x" and so forth until the running spaces were longer and longer.  It took me a good 6 months to be able to run a 5k without stopping....but I was NEVER a runner and this was new territory for me!

I highly recommend that you get fitted in a running shoe store (not a big box like Academy) for running shoes, if you are going to commit to running.  I ran in the wrong shoes for a year, and lost 2 toenails!

I know several people that used C25K and they liked it and it worked.

Happy running!

cajungirl
on 8/21/12 1:50 pm
I've never really exercised since surgery (although I do have an active lifestyle).  Just recently I've thought that I want to run and have looked at the C25K program.  It seems doable, I just need to get out there and do it (worlds best excuse maker here).

Best wishes, I've heard lots of rave reviews about it.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

hedrider
on 8/21/12 6:06 pm - Midlothian, TX
 C25K is great. It turned me into a runner. 
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

jackietex
on 8/21/12 7:50 pm
I am loving doing the C25K! I started in May and I'm only now on week 6, so obviously I have taken my time. I don't move on to the next wee****il I'm fairly confident that I can do it. I have never been a runner, even as a kid I remember struggling to run. Now I look forward to my runs and have a real sense of accomplishment.

Lap RNY February 15, 2012
Starting weight 195 (ht. 4'10)
Surgery weight 178.5
Current weight 113

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 436 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 313 views
What's on your Monday Menu?