Just got approval from insurance for surgery! Lots of questions

shellykayd
on 9/8/12 11:57 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
I think I am in shock.  I found out yesterday that my insurance has approved surgery for me.  I was really expecting to have to jump through a ton of hoops!

I actually have surgery scheduled next month!!!  October 15th, 2012.  I really didn't expect it to happen so fast.  I just had the nutrition class and talked with the surgeon the beginning of August.  I had been through the class and met him 2 years ago, but failed to jump through all the hoops.  Now I have different insurance.

So now what?  I need to read over my book again and make lists of what I'm going to need.  I'm excited, but a lot more scared than I expected!!

I've had several surgeries before, but.....  I think my biggest fear is throwing up.  Also not looking forward to the gas pains from having it done laproscopically.  I had my gallbladder out laproscopically and it was AWFUL (plus I threw up for 2 hours after I woke up in recovery).  I donated a kidney with open surgery and had a c-section.  Neither of them were nearly as bad.  Of course they were both for my kids.

Any suggestions on protein shakes that taste good but dont' cost an arm and a leg?  I've only ever tried Unjury chocolate and I liked that.  Also vitamins.....what brands do you use and where do you get them?

Thanks all!

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

semitchell1972
on 9/8/12 1:20 pm
 I am scheduled for surgery on October 16th, so I will be right behind you. Good luck. 
GraceGirl
on 9/8/12 1:22 pm
Hi Shelly! Congrats on approval. Shakes...everyone's tast is different. I am very picky, i HATE any shake that has the protein taste. I like the Atkins and the EAS carbatvantage (both from walmart or target) good if you dont want to order online. They also have some powdered choices there.
I really like matrix mint cookie its a powder you can buy onine very good. Also GNC total lean premixed shakes are good.
Jus****ch the calories/carbs/sugar you dont to buy the ones for weight lifters that have alot of calories....
Vitamins I used celebrate vitamins multi in grape and their calcium 500 in cherry tart. Both good. I now just swallow pills so I do not need to order these anymore. if you want a sample pack they offer one for 3 bucks on their website. great package of pretty much everything the offer.
Vitalady.com has samples of protein   I really suggest you get some samples or try the atkins and eas you can buy at the store to see if you like them.
also remember your tastes may change after surgery so dont stock up too much :)

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

mrsprez_04
on 9/8/12 4:19 pm - Racine, WI
Congrats! I'm nervous too... one more day to surgery! My doc says no protein shakes or supplements. I dont know how thats going to work out but thats thier rule. We get to begin eating soft food immediately so they say the supplements arent needed. We are to use chewable childrens or adult vitamins. Again Congrats.
Chirs H.
on 9/8/12 10:46 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
Congratulations!
Throwing up is my biggest fear too - that and getting pneumonia, which I'm very prone to!

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

CarolinaKelly
on 9/9/12 2:39 am - NC
RNY on 08/29/12
I, too, had a history of getting very sick post opertatively.  Tell the hospital at your pre-op appt that you get sick and they will give you anti-nausea meds through your IV. 

I had eye surgery in June under general anesthesia and then the RNY on August 29th.  I told then ahead of time both times about my nausea and had ZERO problems.

I think you can take this off of your list of worries.

Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics