Why Does Weight Jump so Drastically

macjuicy
on 9/24/12 7:37 am - FL
I usually weigh myself daily just for my own monotoring but for exaample this weekend I went to a dinner and had a a few slices of pizza and a vodka drink 2 days later the scale jumped 10lbs LOL why does that happen? Is it ghost weigh****er retention wht?

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

MichelleNC
on 9/24/12 7:38 am
OMG I wonder the same thing. How does it do that and why is it normally up and not down? Can't wait to see the replies to this one.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/24/12 7:42 am, edited 9/24/12 12:43 am - Baltimore, MD
One word, two syllables: water (wait I lied...two things. Water and sodium.

When you eat carbs your body needs lots of water to process them so you retain fluids. Sodium, as we know, makes the body retain fluids.

What to do?

Eat on plan, drink more water than you normally would and in a few days you will **** it out.

And breathe. In reality these types of reactions are what keep you going back to the right thing. So it's good, no?

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

macjuicy
on 9/24/12 12:58 am, edited 9/24/12 12:59 am - FL
Im on an intense plan, i drink only water and log everything I eat it was one birthday party where I had pizza and a drink... I understand your logic but 10lbs from a few slices of pizza and 1 drink nah dont see that much water retention

My reaction is more curious than angry, I was writing here to see if maybe someone has had the same experience and got info from a Doctor or NUT

www.gastricgeek.com

Constantine
on 9/24/12 9:08 am
Happens to me quite a bit.  My weight can vary by as much 7 lbs when I go off the usual eating plan I am on and have too much sodium and/or alcohol.  Usually takes a few days to go away.

I also retain MASS water when I work out hard and lift weights or work out hard enough that I have serious soreness.  Your body can hold on to as much as 8 lbs of water to help heal your muscles, or so I've read.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/24/12 9:25 am - Baltimore, MD
 Ok fine then what was it?

Cuz we know it takes 3500 calorie overage to make a pound of fat. So did you eat 35,000 extra calories?

That seems unlikely.

Btw, I retain about 10 lbs. of water every Thanksgiving after I eat with my family. I drink. I **** it out. So you can freak out if you want to or you can listen to common sense and make a plan.

The choice is yours.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

jamiemariep
on 9/24/12 3:20 am
Hot damn I wish there was a like button for your posts.

I agree, though. It's gotta be water. I have been doing this Paleo crap for a week and the scale went the lowest it's been yet (162!)...ONE freaking meal that was non Paleo (a piece of break, 4 bites of cake and a glass of wine) and the scale was back up another 5lbs the next day. Just part of life for those of us who weigh daily.

I love what you said though, Nik, about it being a reason to keep going back to doing the right thing. It's a good kick in the pants to keep on keepin' on.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

macjuicy
on 9/24/12 3:23 am - FL
On September 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:
 Ok fine then what was it?

Cuz we know it takes 3500 calorie overage to make a pound of fat. So did you eat 35,000 extra calories?

That seems unlikely.

Btw, I retain about 10 lbs. of water every Thanksgiving after I eat with my family. I drink. I **** it out. So you can freak out if you want to or you can listen to common sense and make a plan.

The choice is yours.

geez Cleo really? lol

www.gastricgeek.com

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/24/12 3:28 am - Baltimore, MD
I don't mean to come off sounding snarky but I am not sure what you wanted to hear. You wondered what it was. That's likely what it was. Salt and water. If you don't want to believe that, then that's your choice. But the important part isn't the why. You now know this is a trend. So make a plan. Does this mean you never get a treat? Certainly not! But expect that you'll have to make a plan to counteract the effects of that treat.

That's the way it is. I'd love to tell you the scale is wrong, it's busted, it's broken. It's likely not. And it's likely not fat either. So knowing what we know about the human body, go with the theory that makes the most sense and make a plan. Don't ***** PLAN! Be empowered! You got this! You are driving the truck babe!

macjuicy
on 9/24/12 3:33 am - FL
On September 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:
I don't mean to come off sounding snarky but I am not sure what you wanted to hear. You wondered what it was. That's likely what it was. Salt and water. If you don't want to believe that, then that's your choice. But the important part isn't the why. You now know this is a trend. So make a plan. Does this mean you never get a treat? Certainly not! But expect that you'll have to make a plan to counteract the effects of that treat.

That's the way it is. I'd love to tell you the scale is wrong, it's busted, it's broken. It's likely not. And it's likely not fat either. So knowing what we know about the human body, go with the theory that makes the most sense and make a plan. Don't ***** PLAN! Be empowered! You got this! You are driving the truck babe!
You always assume i am looking for the answers I want to hear and thats always farthest from the truth I post on her to hear comments and get advice... i promise Thats it

www.gastricgeek.com

Most Active
Recent Topics