any RNY'ers to RUNNERS here that can give advise?

Cheryle
on 10/1/12 7:11 pm - VA
I am sure their are some of yall here that are runners.. I am "thinking" about running for exercise. Its becomeing increaseing impossible for me to get  to my YMCA.. which I love.. but time, funds and new/renewed health cir****tances with my hubby, I am  probably going to have to give up my membership.  Its costs him/us 50 dollars a month.(for one/me) plus its 10 miles ONEWAY and gas is well yall know.  I didn't go ONE day in September.  I need the stress relief too.

So.ooo..  where do  I start running.. I am 5.3 and about 190  lbs..47 years old. should I walk for a few weeks? Lose more pounds first?  I fear getting hurt.. don't want a set back.  I had a heart issue on July 22, went in to what they called tackacardia... or a heartbeat that  got "stuck" at over 200 a minute.  I had to take two shots on the back of the "bus" before a hospital stay of 4 days to prove  I didn'thave a heart attack but I am ok now.  I am gussing for me it  be wise to invest in some kind of heartarm monitor..Any suggestions?  When I went to the Y in august.. I noticed my heart rate wouldn't  go up to what  it once  did.  The cardiolgist said  that the medication "controling" me as it should. What about shoes, best for running jogging?  Do you measure in time or distance.  I live on a semi-country road, hard top.. so running here wouldn't be a problem as  long as weather permits.  This summer we invested in a small barn for more storage. I was  thinking that maybe I'd have room in the house single garage for a piece of home equipment now.. Like an eliptical  Thats on the thinking shelf too what about my panni.. ugh.. last  January I  hit my highest weight ever of 282/day of rny  4-9 I was 266.  This gut is really hanging.. I will be a classic canidate for plastic surgery.... but we we will see. I would still like to lose another 50 pounds..  my Dr's goal is 154... I don't  seem to be a BIG loser in fact since my surgery. I have been consistantly  a few or up to 10 pounds more than  the dr's predictions for weight loss.  I check in again this Friday for my almost six  months.

Any help appreciated,
Cheryl

nfarris79
on 10/1/12 8:29 pm - Germantown, MD
 1. Clear your exercise plan with your cardiologist. This is of MAJOR importance because any advice here should not supercede your dr's concerns!
2. Get fitted for good running shoes (but be aware that your shoe size may change if you're still in the major losing phase!) at a real running store. Box stores just don't have the knowledge about injury prevention and don't usually have the technology that running stores will have (e.g. a treadmil that videos your running stride with different shoes, a scanner that measures your pressure points)
3. Start small. Building up your tolerence in walking (with your normal walking shoes) and when you feel good about your walking pace, start jogging in small bits. I worked my way up from 30sec jogs, over a year, to be able to run 6 miles at a time (I'm training for a Half-Marathon in December!).
4. Figure out what motivates you. Goals? Socializing while exercising? Enrolling in a program (like training for a 5K etc)? Charity causes? Sometimes having a purpose or accountability can help you push beyond when it'd be easy to give up. Good luck!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cheryle
on 10/1/12 9:14 pm - VA
cindy...  my cardiologist was all for an hour of exercise a day on a ymca machine..  so i  think he'd be good with run/walking as well.   I don't see him again for 6 months.. "unless I need him"... as with the other poster (thank you)  no "cause" was found for my heart event.  my GP said sometimes it just happens.. stress is a major cause and I'd imagine exercise would help with that.  I was/am under  a lot of stress, and doing the best I can..  - shoes.. on a cool day last week, I had to slip on a pair of dress/black shoes from  last winter I noticed they were swimming on my feet.  (off topic)  I  am not having much luck at thrift stores for clothes.. and don't know what  to buy. I am going to need a coat.. sigh, a hundred bucks do I buy one now at 190lbs  or try to  get off 15/20 more pounds before. 

my first goal at running is a spring fun run  with my 7 yr old  grandbaby, her school trains or offers a running club for a county festival weekend, she ran last March  and no one in her family (mothers or fathers sides) was fit enough to run with her..she came in second place (for time)  for girls in the county.   Goal ONE for Nana to run  two miles easily.

I will look forward to other replys..

did you say you started running at 250lbs .. ?

jamiemariep
on 10/2/12 1:59 am
Sure did! Had RNY on 11/28 and started running at the end of January. I was over 250lbs....started with the Ease Into 5k program. Running 60 seconds in the beginning was HARD. Now I can run 4-5 miles no problem.

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

jamiemariep
on 10/1/12 8:33 pm
I started running in February, I was still over 250lbs. For me Couch to 5k (C25k, Ease into 5k there are several programs out there) was a good place to start. I used an app on my phone and it gives you walking/running intervals.

Shoes is a personal thing. You can go to a running store to be fitted or just buy a decent pair. I have a pair of Asics I got at a regular store...it's time for new shoes though so now Ill probably go to be fitted since Im running longer distances.

The panni...well, it is what it is. If it bothers you try compression garments.

Tachycardia, my husband had this a few months ago and is followed by a cardiologist who couldn't find a "cause" DH researched on his own and started supplementing magnesium. Hasnt had an issue since.

Good luck!

Tiara Classic 5k 5/13/12: 37:19
Marion Village 5k 6/23/12 32:55
Rochester Road Race 5k 8/11 29:58
Acushnet Road Race 4 mile 9/3 41:07
Spooky Spooner 5k 10/28 PR 28:05

Stephanie M.
on 10/1/12 11:48 pm - Los Angeles, CA
 Cheryle,
I am a runner, and I must say, I LOVE RUNNING!! But that being said, I love running NOW. When I first began my process, I began by walking. Running hurt my joints at my higher weight, and I didn't find the pleasure in it. Of course I would suggest making sure it is approved by your surgeon/doctor, but the way I began was going for walks, and slowly running more and more. So for example, I would walk an hour a day, and I began running by doing one minute of running. The next day 2 minutes, the next day 3... you get the idea. It is hard to begin running, but if you push through, you will really find that you get the "runners high" that many talk about. So, I would suggest starting with time, then once you feel you are going substancial distances, you can pay attention to distances. You can do it! Good luck with your exercise, and remember to remind yourself, you are doing great so far! And you still can lose those 50 pounds!
Steph

laura_vermont
on 10/2/12 12:23 am
The other option is to get cardio without actually running.  I've had a tibeal plateau repair with bone grafting.  And, I'm not young - 40-something too.  Running hurts, walking doesn't.  I do walk fast..... my race time is just over a 13min mile.  I thought I was odd -- then I googled "marathon walking". 

Check this out:

http://www.marathonwalking.com/
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Kim S.
on 10/2/12 12:52 am - Helena, AL
You've already gotten some great advice!  I think there are more runners out here than I knew about.  Also, hang out on the Exercise forum for some great support and advice.

1)  Make sure you are cleared by your doctor to start running.
2) If the doctor recommends it, wear a heart rate monitor.
3) So important!  Get fitted for good running shoes at a running specialty store.  This was the best thing I did to make my running more comfortable.
4)  Listen to your body!  If you do not feel good, or are in pain, stop running.  Walk for a bit, try to run again, and if you still have pain, do not run anymore that day.
5)  I like to run with an iPod....if I can't hear myself breathing hard, it makes it easier.
6) Don't worry about distance or time at first.  Just do what you can and keep setting new goals for yourself.
7)  This is most important!!  HAVE FUN.  If you do not like running, find another activity that you do enjoy.  You will only stick with activities that you truly enjoy. 

Happy running!

Carol S.
on 10/2/12 9:25 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Another runner here and I agree with all of the above.

I love running and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 63 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views