TMI? Ok....diarreah.....sore butt....now what?

shellykayd
on 10/20/12 7:16 am - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
 I had my surgery Monday.  Started having diarreah on Thursday before starting ANY milk products at all.  It's not like run to the bathroom every 5 minutes, but when I go, it's pretty much totally liquid.  And kind of burns my butt, even though I make sure to clean and dry VERY well after.

I'm afraid to pass gas because that won't be all that comes out.

My Dad was all worried about me being constipated or something.

I am not taking much at all in the way of my pain med (none today at all).

Is this normal?

Mostly right now I'm working on getting in enough fluids and protein.  Not enough yet, but I'm really trying.  Especially the fluids.  Don't want to end up dehydrated!

I have been eating maybe 3 sugar free popcicles a day since coming home from the hospital Thursday afternoon.  Could that be doing it?

Thanks all.

Shelly

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

clpower
on 10/20/12 7:24 am - Pearland, TX
I'm not a doctor but we use Aquaphor Original Ointment made by eurcein.  I have IBS (diarreah) and my son chronic constipation.  This stuff is awsome. 
whitetigress2011
on 10/20/12 7:59 am - CA
My doc told us to get tucks pads with hemroid cream in them to help with irritation due to this. Walmart has their brand, 100pads for less than 4 bucks.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
SW : 372 CW: 299 1st GW : 250 2nd GW : 215 DR. GW:201My PG: 180
Anything below is a blessing from GOD

Susan2012
on 10/20/12 10:20 am
 Put the tucks in the fridge. The coldness makes it feel better. 

Denise B.
on 10/20/12 8:48 am - Binghamton, NY
All the above are a great help,, but don't forget to wash after each go then apply the ointment. 
Get a dream, make it yours, and let no one steal it!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Highest weight 285, day of surgery 265, current weight 209, and holding steady.

Brenda S.
on 10/20/12 8:49 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
Sorry you are having to deal with this.  I've had diarrhea following other sugeries due to all of the fluid they pushed in.  Maybe that's the case with you?  I've used Desitin (yep, the baby kind) when I had a stomach bug in the past.  It works GREAT!

Good luck,
Brenda

angeleigh
on 10/20/12 8:54 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12
Did they do an Upper GI barium test? If so that can cause this issue as well. I know for me, it was like diarrhea but it was water and the barium getting out of my system. Looked very milky.  I was also told to use tucks and was given a cream by my OB since the burning spread.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

longhornrose
on 10/20/12 9:10 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12

The diarrhea is pretty standard, I think.  Mine set in on about day 2 after coming home.  I called my doctor's office, and they recommended Imodium AD.  Took that for about a day and a half, and it knocked out the diarrhea. 

Not sure why the pain and burning, or exactly what to do about it.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Susan2012
on 10/20/12 10:22 am, edited 10/20/12 10:23 am
 I think mine was caused by the stuff I had to drink for the swallow test after surgery.
i also used Imodium AD.