protein max

val6715
on 10/25/12 8:51 am - NJ

I see some posts indicating that some of us are mixing mega protein shakes and adding other protein mixes to make a total protein number of like 70 grms, etc. It was my understanding that your body can't absorb more than 30 grms at a time. So isn't the extra protein in those shakes a waste? I usually will mix unsweetened soy milk with my protein powder for a total of 28 grms. And I am always happy when I get that in! So...what is the truth behind the protein info? Thanks for any info...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/25/12 9:09 am, edited 10/25/12 4:22 pm - OH
According to the ASMBS, it is a myth that your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein at one time: "One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional literature, there is no scientific basis for this claim."

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

molly3613
on 10/25/12 9:15 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Just last night Dr. Sherman, head of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery at Methodist in Houston, said in a seminar we are wasting time and money making those 45 and 50 gram shakes as the body can only process 25 or so at a time. Throwing protein powder away. I emailed two bariatric nutritionists for clarification but have not heard back yet from either. The lecture was on better understanding bariatric metabolism. I know there are plenty of people here who disagree. Will report when I hear back.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/25/12 9:24 am - OH
I would ask anyone who says your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein at one time for medical studies that SHOW it to be true. They won't be able to. It is just something that has been repeated enough that it has come to be accepted as true.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wmamey
on 10/25/12 10:02 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Although there is no literature to the claim that we can only absorb xx amount of protein at a time there are several other reasons why you would not want to take ALL your protein at one time. Protein can be used to help keep you feeling fuller longer. So therefore if you split your protein into 2 different times during the day, that is 2 times feeling fuller and less likely that you will eat when not hungry.
Also, just my opinion but I would rather spread out the benefits of the protein rather than try to get it all in at once. I like a good protein drink after my workout and I also drink a protein shake on my way to work since I don't get to eat breakfast right away.
But no, there is nothing that says we only absorb so much at a time.

swoozieq67
on 10/25/12 10:52 am - MI
RNY on 04/25/12

Earlier today I did post that I made a high protein drink at home. It has 70 grams of Protein in it. I make this drink and I keep it in my shaker bottle and it usually is for 2-3 servings. Maybe some people misunderstood what I was saying? If so, I am sorry.

I use a Fage Total 2%  greek yogurt (plain) 7oz container, a Premier Protein Chocolate drink and a scoop of the Unjury Strawberry Sorbet and I blend it in the blender and pour it into my shaker bottle.

I have a very hard time getting the proper amount of Protein in every day. I was told to get 50-60 grams a day. Since my WLS, I have developed an aversion to any kind of meat, eggs and the smell of the protein powders. I eat beans, cheeses, low carb vegetables and gluten free grains that are high in protein. Some days are better than most and some weeks are just awful, my pouch, I call her Sybil has been very moody lately. So on some days I try to cram in as much protein as possible with my homemade high protein concoctions.

My nutritionist and my surgeon along with my PCP are all fine with this. Nobody ever told me that I was wasting protein powder and that it was not going to get absorbed. Please update me with any information that proves that I am wasting my money if I am not actually absorbing all or most of it.

Thanks,

SusieQ

Most Active
Recent Topics