Swallowing liquids? What amount??

Sheila W.
on 10/29/12 3:38 am

I'm 10 days post op and was wondering what size drinks to you take at one time.  I used to be able to drink 8oz in one swig, I know I'm not there but was wondering what the max is for everyone.

I'm not drinking with meals but trying to increase my fluid intake and I don't want to over do it with to big of gulps.  I have 3oz cups and was wondering if 3oz at one time would be to much, or does it just depend on how my body tolerates it.

Yesterday I drank an 8oz pineapple Bariwise protein drink two quickly (trying to get out door for church) and definelty felt it.  No pain, just an uncomfortable feeling.

All thoughts and comments welcome!!!

Thanks

Listen closely: the only time it's too late to change yourself is when you're dead. Until then, you're simply making excuses or lying to yourself. HW 350 SW 324  SD10/19/12

Dave Chambers
on 10/29/12 3:52 am - Mira Loma, CA

Two sips every 15 minutes--each sip 1 oz, total 2 oz.  If you can do this during waking hours, adjusting around meals, should allow you to get 64 oz or more per day.  You're lucky you didn't regurgitate your protein.  I remember this issue at around 3 mo. post op. I was a hot day, I was sipping some iced tea, and I had to do something outside for 20 minutes. I came back in on that hot day, saw the tea, and took 3-4 big gulps. As soon as I did it, I realized I had likely made a mistake. I quickly grabbed a closeby plastic trash can and with 10 seconds, I barfed up the iced tea.  Too much too fast, and it came back up. I did that exactly once--I didn't want a repeat performance. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dee.spunk
on 10/29/12 4:01 am - Sacramento, CA
I could only do like 3 oz every 15 minutes at first. I was so thirsty but couldnt get in more than a few sips. But, with that being said, everyone is different. I remember others could drink with no problems at all. It just depends on the person i guess. I can now drink more, but I'm not a chugger. lol! I just cant. I still take small sips.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Elizabeth G.
on 10/29/12 4:04 am - RI
RNY on 10/18/12

Hello Sheila,

Whatever is comfortable and tolerable should be fine. I'm drinking 1 to 2oz. at a time right now because that's what feels best to me.

Liz

poet_kelly
on 10/29/12 6:11 am - OH

It's fine to drink as much at a time as feels comfortable for you.  You can't damage your pouch or stretch your pouch or anything by drinking.

At four years out, I drink 8 ounces in anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour, depending on how thirsty I am.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kathyshrinks
on 10/29/12 6:32 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12

Ditto to the above.  It's only a matter of comfort, and most of us experience that discomfort if we try to gulp, at least so soon after surgery, so that's why they tell you to sip slowly.  Here's a tip:  some of us (including me) can drink hot liquids faster than cold ones.  So, you can go with broth, herbal tea, or protein hot cocoa (check out www.bariatricfoodie.com for a recipe) if you find that warm stuff goes down better for you.  I don't drink coffee, so I don't know if decaf is allowed at your stage or not.  If anyone mentioned it to me, I didn't pay attention.  I drink Pero every day, which is a grain beverage that sorta tastes like coffee.  They sell it in the coffee aisle at the store.  It's make from toasted barley, which sounds weird, but it's healthier than coffee and helps keep me from getting constipated (a common post-surgery problem).  I add protein powder and flavored syrup to it.  I also drink Unjury chicken broth flavor protein powder, which you can order online. 

Jenci S.
on 10/29/12 7:13 am - Sacramento, CA

I agree with the previous posts, whatever feels comfortable for you.  And remember some days are "small pouch" days and it doesn't matter how slow you drink your fluids, they're just going to sit there.

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours."  -Swedish Proverb

MrsLitch
on 10/29/12 11:05 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

by 10 days out I was drinking "normal". I couldn't guzzle or gulp but I could take the same drinks I took pre sugery. By 2 mo out I could gulp and still can't guzzle. My doc said you should be able to drink "normal" early out and to drink whatever is comfortable to you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/29/12 11:13 am - OH
You can drink as much as you want, as fast as you want, as long as it does not cause discomfort. You cannot hurt anything by drinking too much. The worst thing that can happen is that uncomfortable feeling (or, for some, downright pain) or, if you drink too much too fast, it will start to back up into your esophagus (which is a VERY odd feeling).

Some surgeons have "schedules" to try to make sure people are getting enough, but you should NOT limit yourself to some artificial schedule and amount if you can drink more. MANY people can drink pretty normally just a few weeks out from surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views