Why am I annoyed by all the attention?

Kim H.
on 11/25/12 8:20 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

It seems like every single time I go to work someone has to comment on my body, mention how thin I'm getting, ask me if I'm still going to lose more, ask me what size I am, or something along those lines. Most of the comments are positive although not always. I can't wait for the day to come that people stop talking about my body! I know that the vast majority is meant to be kind and supportive but it's getting old. It's been 16 months and I'm a little tired of my body being the topic of every conversation. I guess in some ways I feel inspected and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Also, it sort of embarrasses me to be the center of attention. I feel so much relief when I'm around people who only know me for who I am now and have nothing to compare me to. I also know there is part of me that resents the attention because I'm the same person I was when I was fat and all the praise makes me want to say that out loud. But why? Like I said, I know the comments are said in good spirit but why am I annoyed? I think it's complicated. I think it reminds me that when I was fat I was invisible in some ways and that I was judged to be "bad" even if it was never said. Now, because of all the praise it sort of makes me hurt for the fat me that was ashamed and miserable. I'm still the same person. Fat or thin isn't about good or bad...it's a disease...obesity is a chronic disease. I may be thin now but I'll always have what I call a "fat head" and need to be careful with what and why I eat for the rest of my life. I guess that's part of my annoyance, too. It's way harder than it looks, it's about so much more than just the weight. I never thought that I would feel this way; what an interesting journey.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Heidi T.
on 11/25/12 8:46 pm
RNY on 01/31/12

I know what you mean. I am having a hard time with people saying that I am a different person, I may have a different body yet I am not a different person. I am having a hard time because I seems to be in the middle right now. My fat friends dont like hanging out and going to do anything with me now, my thinner friends, well I guess I am still not thin enough to do everything with them.  I feel like I am in limbo and I am tired of being asked how different I feel. I am still the same person, just in a smaller body, I AM STILL ME. Sometimes I feel like I need to scream that over and over again for people to listen to me.

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Kim H.
on 11/25/12 9:03 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

I'm still me, too! Good point... :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
MultiMom
on 11/25/12 9:50 pm - NH

I do understand what you are feeling.....it really promotes the thought process that you are what your outer shell reflects. We know on one level that is not so and that people really don't think that, yet it is still aggravating that it feels that way. 

Really though, people are congratulating you for doing what needs to be done and they are happy for you. Believe me, soon the hoop-la will be over and it will be back to normal business. Once in a very great while I will see someone that hasn't seen my updated exterior and I will get the "reaction" again.

To be honest, I would have been hurt if nobody said anything though!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Dave Chambers
on 11/25/12 10:38 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Eventually, the "novelty" of your WLS will diminish.  This topic has been discussed many times at my support groups.  The general consensus seems to be "I'm the same person--why didn't people like me or treat me with respect when I wasn't thin". DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/12 11:58 pm

I can't wait for the novelty to diminish. I am also tired of people seeing me and that is all they talk about. I am the same person inside just a thin person. I was invisible before but now people I don't even know say hi to me and are very friendly especially at work and in public. It actually ****** me off that I am worthy of being respected now but I wasnt before. I dont' consider that a compliment. It's an insult. Hatred and the like against fat people is the last acceptable form of discrimination and I don't like it now that I am accepted into society I should be happy. I should have been accepted and treated with respect while I was fat too.

cajungirl
on 11/26/12 12:02 am

I still hear comments about my size and yes I'm almost 8 years out.  My weight is fairly stable and I've been here for about a year in a half (lost a little more during my divorce) YET I hear it at work and amongst family members still.  I've gotten to the point that I ignore the comments completely. 

Initially I understand the changes and comments as we change so quickly and in my case I was ALWAYS overweight from age 5 so it was an adjustment to me as well as family and friends.  How does a 5 lb difference in weight alarm someone or make them notice and feel the need to comment?!?!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

macjuicy
on 11/26/12 12:23 am - FL

I feel ya, I always get the dreaded you need to gain more weight you look too thin hate that!!!

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

Steve D.
on 11/26/12 12:29 am - MI
RNY on 11/05/12

Being only three weeks out, I have an alternate view on being the same person. I have changed already, I have more energy and more desire to do things than ever before. Maybe that's what your colleagues are seeing?

HW: 380 lbs

1st Consult Wt. 325 lbs

SW: 293 lbs

MyLady Heidi
on 11/26/12 2:18 am

Come back after you gained some back and everyone goes silent and tell me how that feels?  Won't be good, so I suggest you enjoy people saying you look good, what they were saying by saying nothing is "you are fat and unhealthy god I hope you do something about it" and you did.  Don't judge them for trying to be nice and supportive.

Most Active
Recent Topics