STRUGGLING

brt11565
on 11/29/12 4:31 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

i am on my liquid protein diet. it is so hard!! i was in bed last night and i am crying cause i am so hungry. and i am also going threw caffeine withdrawls. HELP!!! is there any foods i can eat? every protein drink makes me gag. sf anything makes me sick. i am struggling so bad. i am on my 3rd day with 11 more to go. i am trying so hard. any help is welcomed, please!!!

azreggie
on 11/29/12 4:36 am - Tucson, AZ

It does get better and easier.  Trust me, after the 3rd day, it was ok.  Just think of how many of us have done it and how many after you will do it in the future.  You can do hard things.  Make this your new mantra. Hang in there, it's not forever.

Reggie

shirleyfhoffman
on 11/29/12 4:46 am - CA

I bought unflavored protein powder and mixed it in with my soup broths and also in with my crystal light. Protein shakes still make me gag, but I have a 16oz. protein hot tea every morning (2 tea bags in the water in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then I add a teaspoon of benifiber, 4 splenda packets, and one scoop of unflavored protein powder.) You have to make sure it's not too hot when you add the protein cause if it's hotter than 130 degrees, the protein will curdle (same in the broths). After I mix in the protein powder, I put it back in the microwave for 30 more seconds. The tea really helps when your SICK to death of cold protein shakes!

I also make a larger protein shake for when I'm done at the gym. I make 2-3 oz of decaf instant coffee with 1oz sugar free caramel torani syrup (for November I used pumpkin pie flavored syrup and for December, I might mix some chocolate and peppermint syrups to be more festive), 8 oz. milk, 2 scoops of the unflavored protein powder. After it's mixed, I taste it to make sure it doesn't need more coffee or syrup. If it's good, I add ice and pretend it's an iced caramel latte. LOL

I used GNC unflavored 100% whey protein (they're going to stop selling it in the 2lb. tubs, but it should still be available in the 2lb. bags). But you can use whatever you want that you like. I was just telling you what I use because my first protein shake ends up being about 21g of protein and the second one is 52 with the 2 scoops and 8oz of milk. That's 73g right there and it's not hard to get in the rest after that. I hope this helps a little and good luck!    

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

brt11565
on 11/29/12 5:43 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

thank you for your support. i am in the process of getting unflavored protein. i am doing good with the bullion cubes. so maybe i can mix it in those.this is just so hard to do. but i know it will be all worth it.

Jewelsstevens
on 11/29/12 4:47 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

After day 3, it truly DOES get better.

I did not give up caffeine until the day of surgery. I KNEW I would have the headaches, etc. so I waited until then because I figured I would be on morphine or some other intense pain killer those first days/week. Those painkillers helped me avoid the side effects. By the time I was off of my painkillers, caffeine withdrawal symptoms were gone :)

manda2108
on 11/29/12 4:54 am

I used the no sugar added carnation breakfast drinks..they ARE NOT super high in protein but maybe you could add a half scoop of protein powder to them? Or just drink them alone. I also couldn't stand any brand of SF pudding except for the Jello brand...now i LOVE the jello brand SF chocolate/vanilla swirl pudding. If you are allowed creamed soups try having those..and I couldn't stand plain chicken or beef broth but I was able to just completely stain everything from my favorite veggie beef soup. You can do this!

SoCaPinkLady
on 11/29/12 6:33 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Be sure to drink plenty of water and liquids (wine doesn't't count) It will get easier, I know for now you are not believing it but keep up the great job!!! It will be worth it in the end!

Lori                               

Price S.
on 11/29/12 7:45 am - Mills River, NC

We had a 4 week liquid diet with one small food meal a day before surgery.  We could have unlimited celery and cucumbers.  I guess if you HAD to eat something, those wouldn't hurt you.  Not the day before surgery, but this far out, you would be ok.  You should wean yourself off caffeine, not try to do it all at once.  If you drink coffee, mix a little regular with decaf until you are only using decaf.  Sorry you are trying everything at once.  That makes it especially hard.  It's not forever and the 3rd day really is the hardest for most folks.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

KLH12312
on 11/29/12 9:47 am

Have you tried the Adkins Advantage shakes?  I think they taste great.

Most Active
Recent Topics