Excuse me. Um... drain?

groovykg
on 12/18/12 11:33 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I keep hearing mentions of "drains."  Now I think I have another reason to stress out prior to surgery.    

Can someone explain exactly what this drain entails?  

Does everyone get one?

Does it hurt?

Does it hurt when it's removed?  

Did it freak you out?

Joyceebaby
on 12/18/12 11:37 pm
RNY on 11/29/12

A drain is a normal part of MANY surgeries.  It doesn't hurt.  When removed it may be a little pressure but shouldn't hurt.  It is usually removed prior to release from the hospital.  Don't sweat it...it's no biggie :)

artroxy blue
on 12/18/12 11:39 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

The drain is used to collect extra fluid, blood, etc. in the incision area. I don't know if everyone gets one, but I had one that was removed prior to going home. It didn't hurt to have it removed, but it just felt weird. LOL 

You may need to check with your surgeon to see how and when they use a drain. 

Mal
on 12/18/12 11:40 pm

I had a drain after surgery (called a JP drain, looks like a clear bulb at the end of a tube coming out of your incision) don't freak!  Mine came out on day 2 (right after my foley catheder) and just felt a little strange coming out, not pain.

They covered the hole and it closed up on its own.  I also had staples in ea*****ision (there were 5 small ones) which came out 2 weeks later.  Some docs use disolveable stitches, some staples, some glue--all depends on what your surgeon likes to use.

Mallisa

groovykg
on 12/18/12 11:44 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I think I need to stop reading, because I'm reading about people emptying it, or fluid being clear... omg.  FREAKS ME OUT!  I had an endometrial ablation a few weeks ago and have a "weeping uterus" at the moment, and that is freaky by itself and the only way I can wrap my head around it is because it's coming out, uh, naturally.  If there were a TUBE through a HOLE in my SKIN?!?!  Oy!  And then if I had to like, be in charge of doing something to it?!?  Ick, ick, ick. 

Calif_Princess
on 12/19/12 2:08 am - Louisville, KY

I had also heard of a drain and it scared the crap out of me but I didn't have to have one.  Check with your surgeon to see if he uses them.

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

Lindah55
on 12/18/12 11:45 pm - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

Don't stress about the drain. It does not hurt. Mine did burn a little when taken out. But its over in seconds.

LadyAnastacia
on 12/18/12 11:45 pm
RNY on 11/06/12

I had one that came out 24 hours after surgery, just before I was released.  It's not painful, just one more thing to hang on to while you walk.  

groovykg
on 12/18/12 11:53 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

Why have I been seeing stories of people having it for 2 weeks and having to empty it every day and all that?

CaitlinTraveler
on 12/19/12 12:00 am
RNY on 11/19/12

Hi All,

I had a JP drain for a week after surgery.  It was taken out at my 1 week post-op visit.  I was instructed to drain it and measure the amount of fluid that came out.  Initially it was a little bloody, but towards the end of the week, it turned into a clearish/yellowish color.  I kept track of how much fluid I drained as well.  This REALLY helps keep down swelling, so it's a good thing!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson-Pratt_drain  It uses suction to help pull the fluid out of you, but no worries because your nurse will explain it if you have any questions!  I've had a drain before, so it didn't seem like a big deal, it's just a pain in the butt when you shower.  Good luck!!!!  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics