Suddenly Water = Nausea

catwomandd
on 1/12/13 8:22 pm

Need to vent:

As of last Friday, I am four weeks post-op.  Things had been going great, other than some fatigue.

I have been getting in my protein, plenty of fluids, losing weight.  Had my first post-op appointment with my surgeon and she was very pleased with my progress.

And then suddenly mid-week last week, every time I take a drink of water I have almost immediate nausea.  Now, I have been a water drinker forever.  As soon as I could start drinking water after surgery, I did.  My nurses were impressed by my ability to ge****er in.  In fact, there wasn't really anything at all that was giving my pouch problems.  I was beginning to think that I have a wonder pouch.

And, it seems to be only water causing the nausea---I can drink hot tea with no ill effects, eating is okay.  Have tried varying the temp of the water, added some Mio flavor enhancer, starting drinking smaller sips out of smaller glasses, to no avail.

I talked to my surgeon on Friday and she said that some people just have problems with water after surgery, and she would be more concerned if everything was making me nauseous.   So, drink more tea, keep getting my fluids in whatever way I can, and follow up with her if it doesn't improve, or gets worse, or any new symptoms.

UGH---I love water. Just wanted to vent, and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.  I guess I am just surprised that it wouldn't start happening until 4 weeks after surgery.

Deb

RNY 12/14/2012    HW:  303, SW 269

VSG on 06/12/13
Sorry it must be frustrating. I was going to suggest different temps, but I see you have done that. It makes sense that if tea works, just run with it!

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Kenochs84
on 1/12/13 11:21 pm - PA
RNY on 01/03/12

I used to be really sensitive after my surgery with cold water.  I started just drinking luke warm water and it helped.  It will most likely pass.  Your belly is healing so there will be weird things like this that may happen.  Good luck! 

catwomandd
on 1/13/13 3:44 am

thanks!  That is what I am hoping---that it will pass soon.  Today is actually seeming a bit better. :-)

LJ1972
on 1/13/13 6:23 am - FL

I am about 17mths out and plain water still hates me.  Unless it is the sips I take at the gym, plain water makes me cramp and feel rotten. Try adding a little Mio, Dasani drops or some other flavoring to the water, or drink something like powerade zero with no sugar or cals.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Most Active
Recent Topics