I just don't see it

Cassidybri
on 1/24/13 7:53 pm
So I'm about 2 months out. Down 50lbs from surgery, 80lbs down total. Everyone is always talking about how great I look and my "new body". It honestly terrifies me because I don't see any difference when I look in the mirror every day. I know the scale doesn't lie, and if you put pictures next to each other I can see I'm smaller, but I still have that same stomach I hate and all the other sucky fat lady attributes. I'm scared that they all say this (only seeing me through pics because we live far away) and then when they see me in person they'll realize I'm still just fat ole me. I can't except their compliments. It's so weird. It doesn't help that the scale hasn't seemed to move in a long while and I'm only 2 months out. I don't feel like I should stall yet I'm just feeling really down and discouraged sorry for the woe was me post, but no one else understands.
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/24/13 7:59 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

Are your clothes fitting differently?

How much more do you have to lose? You notice a few pounds difference much more the smaller you get. And clothing sizes change faster as you get smaller.

And stalls happen all the time. Just stay the course. The scale will start moving again. I went through periods of weeks at a time without losing, and then suddenly a bunch would come off at once.

Hang in there!

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Cassidybri
on 1/24/13 8:04 pm
Thank you! I have about 60 more to go to goal size, and it's a very reasonable goal size, many would probably say I should go lower. So I worry that pictures are deceiving because they all think I look unrecognizable you know? And yeah a lot of my clothes are super baggy, but it's not bad enough I've had to buy new ones yet. I know I just have to stay the course and I'll feel a lot better once the stall is done. I'm also .. On that time of the month sooo my emotions are worse and I'm retaining haha bad combination! I've been trying just to focus on NSV's, but I can't think of any right now
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/24/13 8:08 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

It was discouraging to me at first that the clothes sizes didn't change, and that my old clothes fit for so long. But it really does start to change quickly, and you'll probably even SKIP sizes!  

Maybe make a trip to the thrift store and buy some clothes that fit better? That might also help you see the changes in your body more. (Most of my wardrobe is from the thrift store! My daughters have to approve my choices though. Apparently I'm "style challenged.")

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Cassidybri
on 1/24/13 8:14 pm
Haha yeah I've been putting off buying anything new until I absolutely HAVE to, but maybe it would make me feel better. The other day I bought a shirt off a friend that I thought would be like my goal shirt. Then when I was out I spilt something on myself and decided I'd atleast try that shirt on before I went to the store to buy a new one annnnd it fit! A little big even. My "goal shirt"! Thanks for jump starting and Nsv memory for me haha I've been a little nervous to go shopping incase my size hasn't really changed, but I guess I should be!
karenp8
on 1/25/13 2:48 am - Brighton, IL

I think it makes you feel a lot better to have clothes that fit you well. You might even find out that you wear a smaller size than you think! I have bought lots of new clothes all from Goodwill and thought I was a size 14 when I could actually wear 10s aand 12s. Having clothes that fit helped me to really see my weig ht loss.

AnniesSS
on 1/25/13 6:10 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I have the same problem! Everyone I see tells me how great I look, I'm a different person, they don't recognize me, etc. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see "much" of a difference. I've lost over 75lbs and have dropped 5=6 pants sizes. When I pick up clothes to put on, I don't believe that they are going fit, but they do!  It's very tough for us to see a difference because we are used to seeing ourselves as larger for many, many years!  It'll take time to adjust.

Keep feeling good about the compliments. They aren't just saying it. They mean it!  Accept it graciously and get used to hearing it :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

pcballott
on 1/25/13 7:38 am
RNY on 11/20/12

I think the actual problem is that we aren't used to people say thing things like that about us, and we just don't know how to respond.   Sometimes I wish that people would just not say anything.  It would be a lot easier!  That being said, it is more difficult for our minds to comprehend how we actually look now that we are losing weight!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views