double dose of vitamins?

ktattwu
on 1/30/13 4:23 am - Vancouver, WA
RNY on 11/07/12

I have a question about the vitamins we take.  The instructions provided by my surgeon say to take a multi-vitamin, twice a day.  However, does this mean if I take a once a day vitamin I should be taking it twice?  Or is this for the vitamins that you're supposed to take twice a day?  Since I've had surgery, I have been doubling up on the recommended dose (by taking twice a day) and just don't know if this is what I should be doing.

Lori F.
on 1/30/13 4:32 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
You double it. You should be getting 200% of the recommended values. So one you should take once a day, you take twice. I guess for those you are supposed to take twice a day, you would take two twice a day? Not sure on that one.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Stephanie M.
on 1/30/13 4:53 am - Los Angeles, CA

That's what I do. I take a 100% multivitamin 2x a day (with 500 calcium 2x a day too). When I went to my 1 year check up with my doctor, he said all my levels were correct. Sometimes I forgot to take my vitamins, so I guess it all leveled out. And since we don't absorb all the nutrition, you should be taking the correct amount. 

katzmeow13
on 1/30/13 4:55 am

If you are taking something like opurity which is made for post bariatric surgery then only take one, once a day... But most other multi's. will  require a double dose

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 5:17 am - OH

The ASMBS says you need a multi with 100% of the RDA of most things in it (like Centrum) and to take that twice a day.  So yes, you should be taking double the normal dose. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carla49
on 1/30/13 8:40 am - IL
RNY on 01/02/13
So, if I am taking the one-a-day bariatric multivitamin from Procare, I should be taking 2?

Carla

Pre-op:  252     SW:  241     GW:  140     Ht:  5'5-1/4"  

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 9:21 am - OH

I'm not familiar with that vitamin.  Does it have 200% of the RDA of most things in it?  If so, you only need one a day.  It would have to be a pretty big vitamin to have 200% of stuff in it, though.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carla49
on 1/30/13 9:27 am - IL
RNY on 01/02/13

It's sort of big.  I just looked at the label. It has from 200% to 800% of everything (20 vitamins) except for zinc, copper, and manganese, which all have 100%.  So I guess I'm okay with just one. 

Carla

Pre-op:  252     SW:  241     GW:  140     Ht:  5'5-1/4"  

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 9:28 am - OH

Sounds like it.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics