How much liquids?

sharlenew
on 2/17/13 9:52 pm - Steelville, MO
I am 4 yrs out and very happy that I am maintaining a good weight for me. I have never been much of a person to drink water or other liquids very much but I just came from the ER after 5 days of high fever to discover a unitary tract infection. The doctor asked how much liquids do I drink. 😞 Well. Some doctors don't understand that we can't just guzzle Down a 20oz bottle of water at a sitting. So what I need to know is how you all do it? How much a day should we drink? And...I hate plan water. Thanks for any help.

Hugs,
Sharlene
Lessoflinda
on 2/17/13 10:23 pm - NY
I think that 64 oz. is the minimum recommended. More is better. My understanding anyway.

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 11:02 pm - OH

Most docs say at least 64 oz a day.  I drink at least 100 oz a day, easily.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilsis67
on 2/17/13 11:06 pm - NY
I am only a few days out with surgery but I never have a moment that I am without my water. I take sips all day. My mouth tastes nasty and is dried out so I can't imagine not having it. Good luck and feel better
Dee.spunk
on 2/17/13 11:34 pm - Sacramento, CA
I was told minimum of 64 oz. I can do about 80 oz.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/13 12:24 am
RNY on 04/18/12

Some of us actually can guzzle down a 20 oz bottle of water at a sitting.  I have no problem with it, and haven't since I was about 3 months out.

I probably drink 100 oz or more of liquids every day.  I only drink water, decaf coffee, herbal tea, and 5-calorie juice drinks.  I almost always have something drink with me, usually a cup of decaf, except 30 minutes before and after my meals.

LucysJourney
on 2/18/13 2:28 am - VA
RNY on 01/14/13

64oz or more a day for me....I am 5 weeks out and while I can't guzzle a 20 oz drink...I can down 8 oz's pretty easily...I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me...most often I also have a flavored water of some kind with me too...even when it is 15 degrees outside...I still drink...except 30 min before and 30 minutes after I eat.

~~ Lucy

Day_dream_believer
on 2/18/13 9:02 am

I have been pushing for 80 to 90 OZ a day.  I too hate water and will easily go all day without drinking anything if I am not mindful.

I keep a pitcher in the fridge with mint, cucumber, or lemon.  I have also heard that orange slices and mint are good.  I am going to try that tomorrow.

brenlee1965
on 2/18/13 9:17 am - New Berlin, NY
I wish I knew how people do this! Pre-surgery I would drink over the 64 oz after work alone. I would get a tall glass of ice water and drink 2 right down & then that continued til bedtime. Now I struggle cause BIG gups hurt like crazy. I love water; but found that I tolerate warmer better. I also found I love lemon in my water; makes it more tolerable without the sweet that I cannot stand.
 Bren                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 150 views