Am I slow?

Cassidybri
on 2/24/13 9:54 am
I am three months out and 55lbs down. I feel like its moving so slow compared to other stories I see where people lost 100+ by their 6 months. Am I just one of the slow losers? Feeling discouraged.
happygrandma
on 2/24/13 10:09 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I think you are doing great!!  I'm about 9 weeks out and only down 35 pounds!  They say we can't fail...........to just keep doing what we are supposed to do.  

lizpete
on 2/24/13 10:12 am - Marlboro, MA

A lot depends on how much you have to lose.   I was only down 35 lbs by 3 months out.  I started at 258. Now at 10 months 2 weeks out I am down 113lbs. I am still losing but at a much lower rate.   Try not to be discouraged  everyone has their won journey and it is not fair to anyone to compare your journey to others.   Stay positive.  It will work if you work it.   (totally stole this from my husbands AA meetings)

angeleigh
on 2/24/13 10:12 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Figure out your percent of loss. Here is a link to another post that outlines how to do that.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4601132/So-you-think-y oure-a-slow-loser-I-beg-to-differ/#38152096

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Ocalasam
on 2/24/13 10:37 am
RNY on 12/18/12
I am in the same boat! Two months out and only down 30 pounds! So frustrated!!
Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 2/24/13 10:40 am - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

If you're slow, I'm slower!!  I lost 29 pounds my first month, and 9 in my second month.  I don't think I'll drop 20 pounds in my third, but I'm always hopeful!  I thought it would be faster than this, but apparently not.  Yes, it is horribly frustrating, but I hope to hit my goal at some point.  If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them, as well!

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

thynnlynn
on 2/24/13 12:04 pm - MI

Every person is different and we are all on our own journey.  Some lose fast, some slow.  I am hoping to be one of those that loses fast, but if not, it is okay.  As long as I follow the rules, I will win in the end, right?

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

eeyoremom2
on 2/24/13 12:13 pm - WI
RNY on 06/01/12

I agree with Lynn, each journey is different and the end result is to lose weight. Trust your plan and your body will do its thing. I am 9 months out and have only lost 75 lbs. So in a sense I could be considered a slow loser but when I put it in perspective I have actually lost 62% of my excess weight. So really I dont think I am doing to bad. Try not to focus so much on the pounds lost but more on how you feel, things you can do that you couldnt before, clothes that fit different and smaller. When you focus on those things the numbers will come, but its just a number it can not measure your success, your success is about having the life you have been dreaming about 

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/24/13 12:20 pm

Do not compare your journey to someone else's journey.

There are many reasons that it can "appear" that others are losing faster:

Someone could have had a 6-month pre-approval diet and lost a lot then.

Someone could have had a several week liquid diet prior to surgery and lost a lot

In both of those cases the weight lost during that time is probably included in their total weight loss.  Therefore a person who has lost 50 lbs before surgery and 50 lbs in the first 6 months would have a 100 lb. weight loss at 6 months post-op but that could be for the past year.

A person with more to lose will tend to lose more lbs. in the same time period as you but it may not be as much of a % of weight. So a 300 lb. person who loses 30 lbs. loses 10% of his/her body weight and a 200 lb. person who loses 30 lbs. loses 15% of his/her body weight so it will probably take longer.

The length of time you have been overweight, the # of times you lost and regained can affect your metabolism and will determine how fast or slow you lose.

Winnie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/24/13 12:39 pm - OH

By what math does that translate to slow?  You lost over 50 pounds in three months and are comparing it to people losing 100 by 6 months.  You are half way to 6 months, so if you double your 55 pounds that puts you at or above the 100 pound mark in three more months.  So what about that makes you think you are slow?

Also, keep in mind that people who have more to lose lose it more quickly.  Someone who starts out needing to lose 250 pounds is going to lose a hell of a lot more weight in 6 months than someone with "only" 125 pounds to lose.  Individual metabolism also plays a large role in how fast people lose, and there isn't anything you can do about your metabolic rate (except exercise to try to raise it a bit).  If your metabolism is low, you will lose more slowly than someone who has a higher metabolism simply because they burn more calories in a day just keeping their heart pumping, breathing, and digesting food.

if you think 55 pounds in three months is slow and discouraging, I think your expectations may be too high.  How quickly did you expect to lose (and what are you basing that on)? (That is a serious question, not a rhetorical one.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics