Exercise machines

_Islander_
on 2/28/13 5:16 am
RNY on 03/11/13

I'm pre-op and in the market to purchase my first exercise machine. I'm debating between an Elliptical or a Treadmill. Which one is better? Which one do you have? Pros/Cons? Thank you

(daughter wants the elliptical ..lol)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/28/13 6:23 am

It is very personal - but if you decide on the eliptical - get one that you can work forward and backwards - trains different muscle group.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

exohexoh
on 2/28/13 6:52 am - West Chester, PA

i prefer the elliptical over the treadmill and a bike over both. on the bike i feel more stable and can read, on the elliptical i'm less bored i guess with the arms moving and stuff, but the treadmill is like hell to me. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

karenp8
on 2/28/13 7:06 am - Brighton, IL

I prefer the treadmill because I am very uncoordinated. I feel really unstable on an elliptical. I guess whatever you like best would be your best bet because unless it is something you will use it is pointless. I have lost almost 100 pounds in 6 months by walking an hour a day and doing 30 minutes of strength training every other day so I guess it works!

Debbie W.
on 2/28/13 7:24 am
RNY on 12/11/12

I understand!   I tried my friends elliptical  about five years ago and said I couldn't do, to hard to coordinate arms and legs!   I asked a lady I met at the club, she said just start slow.    I guess because I was getting conditioned to the treadmill I was able to do 20 min first time.  I do not know why, but it all clicked when I got on, and I'm almost 60.   

Debbie W.
on 2/28/13 7:12 am, edited 2/28/13 7:26 am
RNY on 12/11/12

I used a treadmill for years (my husband and I both had our own Precors).   I started on a treadmill at my clubhouse after surgery and worked up to 2 miles.  I then switched to the elliptical which I like so much better.  I get a better workout, burn more calories in almost half the time and it is easier on my knees, hips and back.

_Islander_
on 2/28/13 9:20 am
RNY on 03/11/13

Thank you all so much for your input. I didn't think about my back and knee pain, so yea, perhaps something low impact is best for me. I like the fact that I can burn more calories in less time on an Elliptical. My daughter will be very happy! Thanks again!

BWB
on 2/28/13 10:05 am

It would be to your advantage to try them out before buying.  I notice several people using the elliptical exclusively and others go for a long time on the treadmill.  I split it up with the bike and treadmill with the weight machines and can't handle the elliptical for more than a few minutes.  Everyone has individual preferences. 

Debbie W.
on 2/28/13 10:35 am
RNY on 12/11/12

Yes, it would help if you could try them out, but not trying for a period of time might not give you the right answer.   I see people at the club using the treadmill or elliptical exclusively.....because it is a matter of preference.  I always hated riding the bike.

brazilnut4
on 2/28/13 10:18 am - HAZEL PARK, MI

any one bought a elliptical at walmart they have a cheap one wondered if anyone has tryed it