5 days post-surgery - gas pains, etc.

jenarm
on 3/1/13 6:18 am - VA

Hey, all -

I'm on the "other side" now and have joined you all who have completed surgery. Everything went well, but I am hurting pretty bad (mostly when walking). I'm not the most patient person, so I am ready to feel more human again. lol. I am looking for some advice on a few things....

I am still sticking primarily with liquids because I am honestly scared to eat. I have had ZERO hunger and am a little nervous about putting in food that will hurt me more. I stick mostly with water, sugar-free juice, jello, pudding, milk. I tried some very wet grits last night and they seemed ok, but it is really a battle to eat. My surgical team said I am ok on the liquids for a week or 2, but the faster I can get some protein in me, the better my hair loss will be. Did any of you have this fear of eating? Tell me I will be less weird as time goes on. lol.

Also, I am having increased gas pain in my belly, which is making me want to eat even LESS. I read in my packet from my surgeon that I can have metamucil, but drinking all that stuff seems un-fun to me. Any other ideas for gas issues?? Can I go get some babyfood prunes or something?

I am also feeling pretty weepy today. I don't feel particularly sad or anything... it feels alot like the wacky hormones that attack after having a baby. Is this normal?

I guess I am just looking for some hand-holding and some ideas on how to get over these post-op issues. No regrets, but I am ready to move into the next stage of all of this. Thanks, guys.

Jennifer

Set for surgery 2/25

poet_kelly
on 3/1/13 6:53 am - OH

If you want to stick with liquids, you need protein drinks.  Hair loss is not the biggest worry about not getting enough protein.  You need protein in order to heal from surgery.  You need protein in order to avoid muscle damage, and your heart is a muscle.

I don't think Metamucil or prunes will help with gas.  Are you constipated?  Those things might help if you are having trouble pooping.  Gas-X might help with the gas.  Walking helps with gas, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rocky513
on 3/1/13 7:33 am - WI

Fiber and prunes will not make your gas better...in fact... it might make it worse.  Get up and walk around every few minutes.  Moving helps you pass the gas.  Holding a heating pad on my belly helped me with the gas pain.  A lot of people take Gas-X.

All juice has sugar in it.... even the diet juices.   I think fruit juice might make the gas worse.

I hate to tell you...your hair will likely fall out even if you get all your protein in.  It falls out from the trauma of surgery and the anesthetic they use to put you out.   Getting enough protein will ensure that your hair will grow back healthy...but it won't prevent the hair loss.  The hair loss starts at about 3 months post-op. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

jenarm
on 3/1/13 8:21 am - VA

I misspoke a bit... I have constipation and gas. I meant the metamucil for the constipation. I just have alot of pressure from the combination of the 2 things. I am trying a protein shake now and that seems to be going fine. Phew. 

Set for surgery 2/25

Sherrie P.
on 3/1/13 9:57 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I was not allowed eat anything until my post op appt, which was 16 days post op. (Jello included)

Don't stress the food. That would have freaked me out too at day 5.

Protein shakes for sure. You will get in WAY more protein drinking shakes now than trying to eat it.

Best of luck.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

dcgirl497
on 3/1/13 11:28 am

Hey there, I had surgery 1/23/13 and had horrible gas pains. I laid on my side; which allowed me to pass gas. My surgeon let me take extra strength Gas-X. Try to eat more because it will stop the gas from forming. Hope you feel better.

dcgirl497

LN040768
on 3/1/13 10:44 pm - Fairless Hills, PA

for gas pains try a heating pad. It was wonderful for me. the nurses in the hospital told me to do it. they said it moves the gas, relieves the pain and helps heal quicker. They were right. i havnt had gas pain since my second day after surgery (Jan 14th). make sure you dont put it on bare skin. i had my jammies on and the heating pad had a cover on it. I was so greatful for the heating pad.

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

Most Active
Recent Topics