Bruising after surgery

katycochran2013
on 3/1/13 11:35 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

So my dad had rny on Tuesday and he has a giant bruise on his lower left abdomen. He is black and blue. Should we be concerned?

madeformore
on 3/1/13 12:47 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

I bruised afterwards, around some of my incisions but also on a spot lower on my stomach area also, where there was no incisions. It wasn't painful or anything so I didn't worry about it. If your Dad's seems excessive and is worrying you, a call to the surgeon's office wouldn've hurt.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

tarsanne
on 3/1/13 12:49 pm - MO
Probably from a heparin shot. Its a blood thinner. I hear they can cause some pretty nasty bruising and they can take a while to go away.
katycochran2013
on 3/1/13 5:42 pm - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

Thanks everyone! He doesn't seem bothered by it.

karenp8
on 3/1/13 9:45 pm - Brighton, IL

I was terribly bruised after my surgery too but doctor said it was normal.

LN040768
on 3/1/13 10:27 pm - Fairless Hills, PA

i had a severe bruise on my lower left abdomen too. it was bad, took a long time to go away but dr said it was normal and i did not have any issues because of it. It will go away.

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

selhard
on 3/2/13 12:36 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I had bruising, too, but they were from the heparin shots.  The nurse said she would space the 6 shots evenly around my lower abdomen to form a smiley face )

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/2/13 1:44 am - OH

Probably not.  They do a LOT of poking around in there and moving the instruments around in the incisions during surgery.  Even with a lap surgery, bruised areas are not uncommon.

The blood thinner injection may leave a small bruise, but that would not account for more than about a quarter-sized bruise for each injection.  It would NOT account for a large bruise, let alone a "giant" one.

If it doesn't bother him and there is no swelling along with it (which might indicate it is a seroma and might need drained), it is probably nothing to be concerned about.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

chickenoregg
on 3/2/13 11:04 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
I ended up with a massive purple bruise on my left inner forearm.
I've had other random giant bruised after surgery.
I think it happens because all the people maneuvering around you in surgery have to heft you around without your help.
I also am slightly allergic to some of the surgical tape and end with with the weirdest shaped rashes.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

katycochran2013
on 3/4/13 8:09 am - GA
RNY on 12/27/12

Ok, so the bruise has got significantly larger. Going to surgeons office tomorrow. He still has no pain but this bruise is looking bad.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 248 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 103 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?