Having revision from band to RNY confused

mercedes66693
on 3/14/13 2:13 am

Hello

I put this on the revision forum also

I'm just wondering I've read a lot about the RNY and not as much about the DS

I'm reading stories on here now about people who are really unhappy with the RNY and are now having the DS done.

I'm looking for some positive stories on the RNY I'm scheduled for my revision on the 25th of this month and I just don't want to make another mistake.  My band was terrible from the get go I've had problem after problem with it. 

I just hope I'm making the right decision for the RNY

Galpals00
on 3/14/13 2:32 am - TX

Had problems with my band too! Had the revision done six weeks ago and have lost 46 pounds so far. My doc said it was best way to go since I ha problems. I think rny was a great choice!!

Allen Y.
on 3/14/13 2:46 am - Garland, TX

All surgeries are a tool to loose weight not a magic cure.  My original surgery was VBG and I went from 587 pounds to 216 lbs.

But I lost my parents and had other personal setbacks and went back to using food as an emotional crutch and went all the way back to 561 lbs. My surgeon does all types of WLS from DS to just lap band. I asked for DS and he said he thought I would do better with RNY. That was a year ago, I am down over 200 lbs now. I can tell you that the VBG and the RNY feel differnt. If you over eat with the RNY at least for me it never hurts while you eat. More like 5 mins after you eat to much you start to suffer and it last for a long enough time that you will think long and hard before you choose to ignore the doctors instructions again.

Chances are you surgeon has done 1000's of surgeries and he has his opinions on what works and what does not. But the biggest issue is, will you comply with the doctor's orders? Get an opinion from a different WLS doctor and talk it over with your primary care doctor too. Perhaps even talk to a 'shrink' as I am of the opinion that the reason we gain weight has much more to do with what is between our ears than the configuration of our digestive system. 

Good luck and God speed to you. Feel free to keep in touch.

Kim S.
on 3/14/13 2:46 am - Helena, AL

RNY and DS are both restrictive and malabsorptive procedures.  There are pros and cons for both.  Both have very good long term results, and I've seen posts on these boards that state the DS has better long term results for weight loss maintenance, but I have not verified that.  I'm sure a DSer can point you to the stats. Have you also reviewed the VSG?

Before you go under the knife a second time, you should review all three surgeries thoroughly and decide which is best for you.  I looked at all the options and chose RNY-I'll be 4 years out on May 1st and have no regain, and am in the best health of my life.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/14/13 3:45 am - OH

In addition to what Kim said, be aware that the DS is the most extreme procedure in terms of malabsorption and potential nutritional issues if you are not VERY compliant with your vitamin regime. With the DS, though, there is no restriction on taking NSAIDs and no dumping syndrome (although only 30% of RNYers dump anyway). As Kim said, consider the VSG as well. I had to choose between RNY and DS 6 years ago and chose RNY, but if I were doing it today, I would choose the sleeve (if insurance covered it).

Keep in mind that on the Revisions board you will ONLY read about people who are unhappy with their RNY.  I think that you have to look CLOSELY at WHY people are considering revising from RNY to DS. There are a variety of reasons, of course, but some of them are simply unhappy because they did not follow the rules, did not really learn to change their eating habits, or did not address the emotional/psychological issues that contributed to their obesity, and they are therefore not at a weight they are happy with because of THOSE things, NOT because the RNY was unsuccessful or insufficient.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jilly Bean
on 3/15/13 1:50 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I love my RNY!  Yes, there are some draw backs - mainly around not being able to use NSAIDS.  However, I chose it because my GERD was so bad and I knew a VSG would make it worse.  My BMI was too low for a DS.  

Good luck!

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 91 views
What's on your Monday Menu?