Pre op Freak Out

bdubs
on 4/9/13 5:25 am

My surgery is scheduled for April 29th, Feels like its just around the corner! For some reason today I am FREAKING out! WHat if I dont wake up from surgey? What if something happens and I am no longer able to be "normal"? I am having this surgery so that I can be around for my children. However, what if I  dont make it out of surgery? Am io have the surgery?

I know I just need to suck it up but I am stressing! Diyone else have these crazy thoughts? ANy suggestions????

karenp8
on 4/9/13 5:39 am - Brighton, IL

I think most of us had thoughts like that. This is a life changing surgery for sure. I reminded myself of the risks of continuing the way I was: increased needs for diabetes medicine,risks of stroke and heart problems from my uncontrolled high blood pressure and eventually less and less mobility. I was standing on the sidelines watching my life go by and I wanted to live it. I wanted to be fit and healthy and a good example for my family. So I shoved the what ifs aside and trusted in my doctor and had surgery and I am so thankful that I did!

dahoodman
on 4/9/13 5:50 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I had them. Some suggested anti-anxiety meds but one of the reasons for the surgery (for me) is to get off some of the meds. I did what you said, I sucked it up. Just try to relax and think about why you need to have the surgery. It's more scary I think because people think it's "elective". I personally don't know anyone who would "elect" to have this surgery if it wasn't necessary. Relax…..relax…..relax….. 

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

bdubs
on 4/9/13 6:03 am

Thank you! I really didnt have many worries until today. I guess it just kind of overwhelmed me. I am trying to just breathe. LOL! I think I just realized how quickly the surgery was coming up.

poet_kelly
on 4/9/13 6:03 am - OH

I'm assuming you're already done your research and know the risks of having surgery and the risks of remaining morbidly obese.  If you haven't, then please do some research now!  For me, I was more likely to die young if I stayed fat than if I had surgery.  However, it's true that there is no way to guarantee you'll wake up from surgery.  The odds are in your favor, but there is always that chance.

If you've decided that having surgery gives you the best chance for being around for your kids, then I suggest you stop focusing on the risks.  You've already focused on them, learned about them, etc, right? 

If you don't have a will, a living will (says if you'd want to be kept alive on life support if you were in a permanently vegetative state), a power of attorney for health care (says who you'd want to make medical decision for you if you cannot make them yourself for whatever reason), do that now.  Not just because you're having surgery, but because everyone should have those because we never know what might happen.  I've had them since I was in my 20's.  Then you're prepared. 

Then focus on the benefits of surgery.  Make a list of all the things you're looking forward to doing when you lose weight, especially all the fun things you'll do with your kids.  Read your list every day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 4/9/13 6:08 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

ALWAYS great answers from Kelly!! I especially like the living will parts. The hospital did give me some stuff on that a couple days before surgery. If you're smart you will start looking and acting on this stuff now and don't wait until the last minute like I did. Talk with your significant other or family about your decisions as well.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

poet_kelly
on 4/9/13 6:10 am - OH

You can probably even find a template online to do a living will and just fill it out and take it to your bank to get it notarized.  That's what I did, although make sure it will work that way in your state.  My point is, you don't necessarily have to see a lawyer and spend a lot of money to get it (although a lawyer should be able to do a living will and power of attorney for you for a couple hundred dollars in most cases).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VintageChick
on 4/9/13 11:22 am, edited 4/9/13 6:20 pm
Hello surgery sister! Mine is the 29th, too : )

I'm having the same scary thoughts. Not worried about waking up, but fear of blood clots following. My sis had a PE after surgery and it terrifies me. I keep telling myself there's more danger in doing nothing and staying at this weight.

I lurk here a lot, reading positive posts and looking at before and afters. I also read about complications and note that most are eventually managed or overcome.

I honestly believe getting behind the wheel of a car carries more risk, yet most of us do that on a daily basis without a second thought. Hang in there, we will get through this!!!
tgrlnh
on 4/10/13 3:27 am
RNY on 06/05/12

What you are feeling is completely normal.  I lost almost 40lbs before the surgery and the night before I totally freaked to the point where I called the hospital to cancel the surgery but when someone answered I said I had the wrong number.  I kept asking myself the same question, if I could loose 40lbs prior to surgery then why do I need the surgery?  Like Kelly I suggest you get your affairs in order.  I checked all my life insurance policies to make sure they had the correct beneficiaries, I created a living will that was filed with the hospital.  I named a DPOA incase the worst happened and I gave a copy of the paperwork to my mom and my husband.  It's responsible to be a little scared and it's great to get your affairs in order just incase things take a turn for the worst.  As Kelly said you already know the risks and you've decided that the results will outweigh them.  Just think back to where you started and why you wanted this so bad.  Take care and stay the course.  You are doing this for you.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 478 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 465 views